Hi Dave, Jaime should be reaching out in a moment! Very sorry for response delays, anyone with reserved Premium PHEV deals should still be getting first dibs on first available inventory. This is why we have not posted any Premium PHEVs, they sell to our waitlist customers in order first before we post publicly, and they never make it through without being grabbed by a waitlister!
I had pre-paid for a CX-90 PHEV Premium Plus last month but was unable to get a vehicle in August. Now the published quote for Premium Plus is much higher that last month, How do we proceed in this case ?
CX-50s have first 2024s on their way in now, might not have much posted on them until next month. If you are looking for one now, I recommend submitting and inquiry to connect with Jaime and see if she has any available she can get you a deal on
Today I went to the dealer and picked up the car Jaime was amazing she helped throughout the whole process. Even when I missed certain things she helped me how to find it or told me what I’m missing. The dealer was in and out.
I got a quote from Jaime on Saturday for a premium plus and I replied with some tweaked numbers in the calculator, and then a follow-up email yesterday but haven’t heard back yet. I know you guys are busy with all the prepaid people and whatnot so should I wait for a response or resubmit a request with the new numbers?