Austin, TX (things to do)?

Anyone from Austin here?

Will be down there with the girlfriend Memorial Day weekend (downtown area) and wanted know what the “must not miss” places are to visit.

Been to TX a few times (love it) but never Austin .

Cheers :beers:

Maybe try tripadvisor.com?

3 Likes

TX Style

2 Likes

Why didn’t I think of that…

The more and more I see replies from you the more I understand why you love Volvos so much …

2 Likes

Is it too late to choose a nice destination?

5 Likes

I was trying to be kind. Do Franklin’s, then leave Austin. Trip will still have been a success.

1 Like

Yeah, why? Here you may get 5 people from Austin and maybe 100 who visited and some of them may reply vs. thousands of people on tripadvisor who already posted there.

1 Like

Honestly, residents’ opinions are useless for tourists.

Ask any New Yorker and they’ll tell you to avoid Times Sq like the plague. What do tourists want to see? Times sq.

You really are better off looking at travel sites.

4 Likes

The last time I was in Austin was August 2019 for a Thu/Fri training, and the “fun weekend in Austin” got cut for a funeral. I had to leave Austin Saturday at 5am for NC — I was worried about missing “the fun part” of Austin after almost 5 years away, but managed to do everything I wanted. The experience of getting to and from the funeral turned out more fun.

I’m not the biggest fan of Austin or Nashville, but the latter IMO is superior to the former when you want that “less than Vegas with local bugs” experience.

1 Like

Be prepared to wait few hours if you want to try out Franklins. There’s multiple other bbq places that are just as good IMO so it really boils down to how patient you are.

Aside from bbq, I would suggest trying breakfast tacos at Veracruz. Breakfast tacos are an Austin staple so don’t miss out on them. If you’re wanting to see the trashy part of town you can hit up 6th St and Rainey St. As a tourist you might also want to check out Mt Bonnell.

2 Likes

This looks fun!!!

2 Likes

By law, one must selfie here and post on Instagram

Preferably with a What-a-burger wrapper in your pocket

2 Likes

Well, you certainly can’t miss the anti-maskers and homeless people. Call me boring if you want, but the only attraction worth mentioning here is COTA. Have a taste of disappointment at a local brewery/distillery and move on to somewhere better.

1 Like

Thanks for replies.

The purpose of this post was hoping I get a local and steer me to a few hidden food/beer spots off the beaten path.

I have the TripAdvisor top 10 list already covered.

On the bright side, I know atleast it’s a red state so I won’t run into much purple-haired, gender neutral liberals who wear 3 masks at a time while driving alone in their Volvo.

#murica

2 Likes

@Tacoma1765!!!

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’re in for a surprise.

But the surprise will be nice, and help with your inevitable boredom.

1 Like

do yourself a favor and try the live oak hefe on tap. it’s lit.

1 Like

I had a few suggestions. I love Austin and usually visit 1-2 times a year but apparently we don’t have much in common. One of the things that you will see all over Austin is “keep Austin weird”.

Would suggest you stay in the suburbs and maybe some Outback steakhouse if you don’t like face coverings and colored hair. State sued the city to stop Austin from having a face covering mandate.

The Domain has a lot of popular bars and restaurants without any weirdness. Might be a place to check out.

5 Likes

Houston, TX resident here!

Austin is considered the CA of TX, so that why you’ll see a lot of “keep Austin weird” signs, t-shirts, hats, car stickers, etc. I’ve been to Austin quite a few times and always had a blast. Don’t know how you are with social gatherings these days but 6th Street is always a blast. But also there’s a ton really good food places around and quirky shops.

1 Like