Audi Q5 lease end - damaged tail light advise

Gurus,

My Audi Q5 is coming to an end in Dec (FL resident). Found out the right tail light damaged by someone hitting the car in a parking lot. There is a little bit of scratching too. My Dealer said it will cost me $1300 to replace the light. I have a deductible of $500. Question for Gurus:
Go through insurance? (Had a claim last year for another car)
Pay and get it fixed. Will get a better equity?
Thinking of getting an VW Atlas. Trade in as is and see what possible equity I get?

Any Advise is appreciated.

Get the lease inspection completed and see what they will charge you for the damage. Otherwise find the part number and see if you can get the taillight at a discount. Pretty easy to find online dealership part stores doing upwards of 30% off list price. An independent shop should be able to swap it for cheap if it’s not a DIY and potentially buff out some of the scratches.

3 Likes

In addition to @Britten440’s suggestion, look for a part out of a junkyard from a total loss vs the cost of a new.

You likely don’t have much, if any, equity unless you put big $$$ down up front. Used prices are falling like a rock, and German makes aren’t known for stellar resale value.

1 Like

None of the above. As mentioned don’t do any of that until you schedule a lease end inspection and just see what Audi will charge for the damage. It’s most likely going to be way less than $1300 (or $500 + higher insurance).

When I turned in my SQ5 I had curb rash on 2 wheels which I thought for sure was chargeable and also had lost a key. Dealer wanted $550 to replace the key. Did the inspection and the curb rash was just normal wear and tear and the missing key charge was $120.

BMW charged me 150 at lease end for a broken tail light.

Thanks for the advise gurus. I will schedule the lease end inspection. I am thinking of replacing the Q5 with an Atlas, so I may as well ask the dealer what I get for the trade-in.