Are cars ready to make a comeback?

Looks like gas prices are on the rise again. It’s also no secret car sales have been falling like a rock to SUVs/Crossovers with the low gas prices over the last few years. The last time gas prices got into the 3s and close to 4/gallon, there was a mad rush to fuel efficient cars. Then, when gas prices dropped, they took a back seat to SUV sales again. Is the cycle ready to repeat? If so, will the recent car deals dry up with higher SUV/Crossover incentives?

Well, thanks SUVs for driving up the gas prices like you have in early 2000s. People never learn.

People never freaking learn…

I get so annoyed with people driving giant SUVs then bitching about gas tax…

Drive an SUV/Truck if you want. But don’t complain when we need to repair the roads you tear up.

If you do the math, driving the fuel efficient vehicles available on the market today, you’re actually paying less, or the same, for gas, than in the 90’s, even though gas prices are higher today.

1 Like

Still sporting the 10 mpg in the GX.

The federal gas tax is arguably way too low as it is. I’m not in favor of raising taxes, but the federal tax hasn’t been raised since 1993, and never adjusted for inflation. There’s a lot more cars on the road today, and they are a lot more fuel efficient than they were 25 years ago, in addition to the niche (at the moment) electric market, who pays no gas tax at all. If the gas tax was raised to where it should be, we (theoretically) would be much further along with better roads and bridges than the crumbling mess we have today. Then again, we are talking about politicians, so who knows how much of that money would actually go to its intended purpose. Nobody has been willing to touch the issue though because it’s political suicide. That may be changing soon…

You obviously don’t live in California we have high gas taxes and high taxes in general

1 Like

State tax and federal tax are 2 different things. I live in PA…we have the highest STATE gas tax in the nation. We don’t pay sales tax on gasoline, however.

I don’t think gen pop cares until it goes over $3.00/gallon. Just sounds bad. It was in the two’s for awhile then went to 3 or almost 4, then when went back down to the two’s and it was party time.

The article is predicting $2.70, which is not enough to bring cars back, especially with an improving economy and tax cut that put $$$$ into most peoples’ paychecks in February.

That’s an average. There’s going to be some states paying north of 3.00. It’s already 2.70 in Pittsburgh.

Sure, that also means some areas will not come close to hitting $3.00. I am at $2.14 at Costco in Charlottesville, VA and $2.19 most others.

Wow look at this map:

PA gets the shaft on the East Coast!

We were in the $2.20 range in South FL last year before Hurricane Irma drove prices up to well over $3…
Since then prices dropped a bit but got stuck at $2.6-$2.7 too, never got back down to low 2’s.

You can thank our wonderful state government for that. What kills me, is our roads are still completely shitty. Makes you wonder where that extra cash is going.

1 Like

Healthcare and pension

having no state income tax, but you still need to find money for other stuff.

Ouch that map hurts here in California.

We have state income tax

I was getting ready to ask if people still pull over on the PA turnpike thinking they have a flat when it is just a bad road! And to think you pay an extra toll for it!

1 Like

in Floooooooooorida?

Jesus, don’t get me started there. The last governor decided it was wise to raise the tolls on the turnpike each year for the next 50 in order to help pay for transit in Pittsburgh and Philly.

PA. Florida is where our retirees migrate to.