Anyone notice Subaru Outback values tanking?

If power and performance are important for you, I’d avoid the Subaru cars (save the WRX and other one I can’t remember)…the 2.5 engine in my Outback is awful, but the engine in my new Forester is fine…I prefer leisurely driving anyway, and live in LA where I’m stuck in traffic anyway. Not having a strong engine prevents me from weaving in and out of traffic to save 45 seconds on my drive.

1 Like

I think people overestimate how important power is in modern cars. Comparing power to weight figures for modern cars from Subaru/Honda/Toyota to the same name plates from 10-15 years ago shows just how much more powerful cars are today while driving styles haven’t changed/traffic has gotten worse.

To me, Subaru seems content with their niche. Makes sense as it is very profitable. But test driving their cars, they don’t seem to offer a compelling value proposition to either buy or lease. Competition has just moved beyond them. Their top trim vehicles have less tech, less comfort and less features than other comparable mainstream automakers. All well not being much, if any, cheaper. Unless you really need their incrementally better AWD, their objective appeal seems limited

I have a 2019 Forester limited…34.5K, $375 month.

It has every piece of tech that other cars have (in the non-luxury category)…not sure what exactly you are talking about?

What am I missing!

1 Like

Dump it before it shows up on Carfax if you don’t want to keep it …

2 Likes

If you can sell it to Carvana right now for a $1,500 net negative, why not do it?

1 Like

I’m confused since the limited has an MSRP of $30,795. Do you mean the touring? If so, what are you missing…as best I can tell after 5 minutes online, feature that competitors in the mainstream crossover segment offer that Subaru doesn’t are rain sensing wipers, parking sensors, a HUD, 360 camera, ventilated front seats and an upgraded engine option.

Also the Forester has 21 less HP than the RAV4 as well as a little less HP than the CRV and CX5 (base engine option).

This isn’t to say it’s a bad car, just that the redesign was conservative and other automakers are being more aggressive. I’m a Honda guy but if I were buying a new compact crossover today, I’d be buying the new Rav-4. It is impressive.

Absolutely not true. But agree on comfort, don’t like the seats.

1 Like

It’s not about the peak power number. I think it is more about how the power is delivered. The Prius is way slower and have less power, but the power comes right away where the Subaru just makes an unbearable drone while trying to hit passing speed.

Their AWD system is very nice though, especially with the X drive.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh/shouldnt have noted less comfort but I cited some examples of tech/features that are entering the mainstream compact CUV market which Subaru didn’t add to the Forester redesign. The CX-5 and Rav-4 added a lot of new features in the recent redesign that Subaru eschewed for the Forester. Not a deal breaker for most people since it’s really only notable for the top trim level of each car - and top trim levels rarely lease as well as cheaper trims. Further many of Subarus buyers, who skew a little older than average, won’t care about these tech features.

It’s still a solid car, and the AWD system is superior to most competitors. I just care about tech (particularly ventilated seats and a HUD) enough that the absence of those features is a big turn off in a otherwise closely matched/priced segment.

Tell me what they have that Forester doesn’t :slightly_smiling_face:
While I can name a few that others don’t even offer.

1 Like

We’re getting out of our Grand Cherokee and into something cheaper and more fuel efficient for the family car - my wife drives it most of the time. Looking at the CR-V. Had a 2013 CR-V and didn’t care for it, but the seats (my #2 complaint) seem to be much improved. #1 was the infotainment system and they have Android Auto now so that’s covered as well. When we started looking at the Subaru (we had bought a Forester in 2003 that we passed down to my stepson when he graduated from HS, and I had kind of kept an eye on them over the years) was when I saw some real-world testing of their collision avoidance tech. I always loved the visibility out of them - it’s really second to none - but the fact that the Subaru seems to have better functioning safety tech than the CR-V is something to consider as well for us. Looked at the RAV4 hybrid, but no Android Auto meant it was immediately crossed off the list.

Bringing an old thread back to life.

Either the CRV or Forester is a good choice. Personally I would take the Forester. I just liked it a bit more although I can’t really articulate a good reason for the preference beyond the superior visibility.

I’d say compromise on Android auto but it is far superior to any factory system I have used. Especially for navigation.

Yeah, sorry for resurrecting the thread. I just didn’t see why people were saying the tech just wasn’t there with Subaru. I’ve been doing a lot of cross shopping in this segment and I can’t think of any tech the Subaru is lacking. But what got me was actual real-world testing of the safety tech, as I said. Watching those safety videos was illuminating. I was one of the first to say for a long time that Subaru just hadn’t kept up with the game, and that they were cheapening all their models, but I think the new global platform Forester might be a winner for us… If I can get over that engine lol. Gonna be tough going from our Pentastar to the boxer.

But that RAV4 hybrid tho… hmmmm…

I think the 2019 Forester tech has all the features I’d be interested in, but the implementation of controls, particularly on the steering wheel, is very clunky.

The new 2020 Outback looks really interesting though, particularly with the more powerful engine.

3 Likes

If you ask me get the forester one. Most of my friends with a fam have this car and they are not complaining about it.

4 months from lease termination. Not looking like I will have any equity.

Owe: $23,600
Buyout: $22,500

Carvana Value: $18,500

Aren’t you glad you leased it instead of bought it so Subaru can eat the extra depreciation?

1 Like

Definitely glad, however, will most likely buy a CPO. I asked Chase about negotiating and they definitely dont do that.

Because there is new 2020 “re-design”, I guess. And it has nice XT engine.

So, you made it through your Outback lease. I thought you will never get another Subaru :slight_smile:

1 Like

We picked up a CPO Legacy for a second car. It isn’t the most inspired car but is a comfortable ride. Pricing was comparable to a Camry or Accord CPO.