Anyone having difficulty returning their leases?

I scheduled home pick with US Bank, it took about 4 weeks, but they finally picked it up last week. I’m in Brooklyn NY and person who picked it up was from PA. They called me about 30 minutes before pick up, when they showed up, I gave them the keys, person put dealer plates on my car and that was it.

1 Like

well, i have the chat logs, and every time i’ve called in the (new and different) customer service rep has been able to see the history on the account, so unless they purposefully delete it on their end, so far i’ve been OK.

Ya I noted down a reference number and name. I mean if THEY scheduled it, not on my dime. Auto-pay already done.

Well, I’m now past the registration deadline. Any idea if Ally will eventually pick up from my house? I’d really rather file PNO than pay $438 for a year of CA full registration.

Did you call them and ask? They aren’t going to just randomly come one day with a truck to pick it up.

1 Like

Hah, I know it wasn’t just going to happen! Calling is a long process at the moment (wait, wait, some more wait, transfer, call drops, etc) so I figured if anyone here knew if that was something they did in general at the moment.

I’m on hold with them now so will find out.

If you’re late on registration already, I don’t believe PNO is an option any more.

It is, I’m sitting with that page open now too. Just added a $32 late fee.

The frustrating part is that I’ve been chasing Ally on this for 2 weeks prior to the expiration and they always said I’d get a call back in 1-2 days, but I got nothing.

Edit: So they said “maybe”, but they have to submit a request for that and they can’t guarantee it. So, they submitted yet another ticket for callback. I told them and asked them to note on the account that I was filing for planned non-operation in California and therefore will not be able to return it to a dealer anymore (based on Ally not making it possible for me to return the car before the original end of the lease and the original registration expiry).

Jaguar picked up my car about two weeks after the lease expired. The call was actually from Mannheim auctions who sent the driver. Put the car in a two car trailer and that was it. Pretty sure the guy spoke no English as he said about three words to me and only answered yes/no and sometimes the answer seemed marginally relevant. Not saying that to be difficult, but it would have been nice if he could have answered some questions about the process. No paperwork, no signature, nothing. Literally came and took the car and seem totally unhappy to be there. I took some good photos before and during pickup. If Chase tries to charge me a dime or says the keys are lost I will dispute it to the ends of the earth as there was no damage when the car left. Overall, a dissatisfying experience.

3 Likes

that’s not correct - you can file PNO up to, i believe, 60 days past due. i was past due on my bolt and although the thing they sent me said there was a fine, when i called them and explained the situation they told me to just put a check for $22 in the mail and it would be processed as PNO.

you shouldn’t have to pay the fee - late DMV registration fees is one of the things newsome waived with his executive order at the beginning of the crisis.

2 Likes

He waived the late fee as long as you pay it within 90 days. Sounds like PNO would work (could have sworn the option went away as soon as you were late, but it’s been years since I filed something on), however, you still need to file something.

Same. Dude was pretty cool tho. He sent me something in my email that won’t open tho. I have no idea if I need access to it to sign or approve or what… but I have no idea who else to talk to about as I don’t think it’s a chase thing. Going to let it ride for now tho.

it does work; per my post above when i called in to the DMV after receiving a delinquent renewal notice they told me to just send in $22 to file PNO, rather than the auto generated amount which included a fine.

of course this means i can’t drive it to a dealer to return it but the dmv clerk pointed out that it would be equally illegal to drive it unregistered. i asked what to do in order to legally drive the car after PNO and they told me to go into a field office to get a temporary operating permit. but if my dealer opens up i’m probably just going to rush down there ASAP.

edit: i should also say that the dmv phone support person told me to immediately file a release of liability form after returning the car given that the dealer or GMF might be so backlogged that they don’t file their paperwork in a timely fashion. on the other hand maybe this is SOP for a lease return even in normal times.

Interesting. I paid online for PNO and the regular registration renewal had the late fee removed, but not PNO, so I just paid it. The late fee wasn’t crazy so I figured I’d cut my losses there.

idk why but my late fee was ~$140 for the PNO so i didn’t want to pay that much… the PNO late fee was definitely a different amount than the registration late fee so i guess they have some wonky way of computing it that might differ from car to car…

Yeah, that’s a big fee. How late were you? Mine was only 4 days…

well, something like 45 days now. of course i didn’t renew the registration earlier in the year when they sent the notice, since the car was due back. and then i forgot about it when this whole nonsense with not being able to return the car started. i guess that explains it; it’s not a one-size-fits all fee :slight_smile:

I’m going to end up doing a no-inspection return because I can’t get a damn inspection scheduled. So annoying.

just to close this out, GMF called me and told me they rejected my pickup request because the originating dealer started accepting returns again. took the car down there on friday and dropped it off. everything was done at arms’ length, everyone wearing masks, and no real attempt to pressure me to buy another car. the car is a bolt and the guy helping me knew i was now driving a tesla without even asking me. so that’s how things are going with GM and the bolt in the bay area, i guess.

we’ll see if GMF tries to claim my XL wear protection policy is void or something. will be “interesting” to get the final bill from them - most of the wear and tear should have been covered by that policy.

1 Like