Anyone getting the S22?

I’m really on the fence about it. I have a 512GB S21 Ultra which is paid off and I’m totally happy with. To be honest the S22 Ultra just doesn’t really seem to be a really compelling upgrade vs the S21. What makes me think about it is the usual stuff: warranty, new battery, etc. Samsung also offers crazy trade in values/promos that make you feel like you’re stupid for keeping what you have. I can get the 512GB Ultra, a case, high power charger, a new band for my watch AND a tablet with keyboard for around 20 bucks a month financed through them at 0% after trade in, discount program and promotional credits. It seems like a no brainer at that kind of price but why do I feel like its just a waste of time and money? I’d be totally happy just keeping what I have but I don’t want to kick myself a year from now being lowballed on my trade.

You will be kicking yourself… so get the new one :joy: even though im a ios user but samsung trade in promos are insane

1 Like

Only drawback is that I lose RAM on the new one. Mine has 16gb and they maxed these new ones out at 12GB for some reason. Maybe it’s more efficient, I’d like to see some benchmarks at least.

I detest Samsung (UI/skin), and adored all the Nexus phones of yore, tried the first few Pixels but they don’t age near as well as the old Nexus line, and cost more to boot. Gave Essential a few years, then One Plus 5, 6T, and now 8 for a few years. The 8 is a NICE unit, just as fast as the day I got it, and it simply performs without a hiccup. But now One Plus has crapped out and fallen out of favor, and I don’t have any credible options ATM, other than buying a new OP8.

1 Like

Had OP for years. In fact, I had the one early on. They totally lost their way and it’s not worth considering anymore, and I still have about $300 in referral credit.

I picked up an s21 ultra as my current phone. I also debated upgrading but the s22 ultra is not compelling enough @ about $400 after all is said and done. I’ll see what the s23 provides.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying what the hell we are talking about.

Picked up via Reddit that the S22U has no expandable storage now? If indeed true, and if the trade in value on my Note20U is really only 600$, I’d rather stick with that and its (slightly less) wide angle lenses. Peak brightness marginally higher on the S22U, though. Either way, not enough to convince me to make the jump, though the 300$ off MSRP + included book cover (350$) for anyone who gets the tablet seems like a solid deal.

1 Like

Green text phones. :smirk:

1 Like

I have no idea what the cool kids use.

When it’s time to replace, I just get the newest iPhone available from my employer.

I believe that my combined lifetime expenditures on phones and mobile plans remains under $500.

(Not counting temporary SIMs/plans for international vacation use.)

2 Likes

I just went ahead and bit the bullet. The amount of stuff being thrown at me to do it is tough to pass up. Plus it fixes some of the things I find most annoying about the S21, like the crippled S Pen and lack of storage for it. The case I have adds over a 1/4" of width to the phone, which is huge to begin with. That new green color they were offering is really purdy too :joy:. The only thing that sucked was that the 45w charger was sold out. I’m not too disappointed since I’ve got several 25w laying around and I can’t imagine that charging frequently at 45w is particularly good for your battery.

2 Likes

isn’t the play then to get the s22U, trade in a note 20U, use the $250 in credit to order the s8 tab ultra + free keyboard, then resell that s8 tab ultra + keyboard and wind up with a free s22u?

edit, it’s 200 in credit unless you got the pre-register $50 credit. i stacked perksatwork on top of the phone discount and it took another $40 bucks off.

2 Likes

That’s essentially what I did. I had the extra pre-order credit plus an extra 50 dollar coupon because I was supposed to get a free 2nd band with a previous watch order that never came. I suppose I could just sell the tablet and keyboard, I’m not sure what I’m going to do about that yet. I used the government discount program as well.

Excellent play - why not the tab s8 ultra though? should be solid for resale w the free cover, no?

I don’t have a tablet at the moment of my own so I’m contemplating keeping it. The ultra just seemed like overkill if I decide to hold onto it. The kids have the Kindles to play with and they aren’t really suitable if you want something a little more capable. Something with a semi usable keyboard I could see myself using from time to time. Either way I could probably pay the entire order off in one shot for free if I decide to unload it.

1 Like