Anyone else throwing in the towel and buying a Tesla?

Not for a Tesla but maybe pickup a Leaf for $27-$28k and after the $7,500 and $1,500 rebates drive it for a bit and sell it back for high teens or something if lucky.

Other thing that sucks is paying all that sales tax on the purchase price!

Well, until they raised the price again a few days ago, at least on some of them…

The prices of all the cars go up and down. The only difference is tesla changes the msrp and other manufacturers change the incentives.

2 Likes

EV charging won’t be free in years to come…it isn’t exactly free NOW. And tax rebates will be long gone. This is just the incentive for people to switch to EV now. I saw a video online of a guy charging his KONA at a public charging station. . He charged it 80% and it had cost him approximately $28.00. Took 54 minutes to charge. Now not for nothing I could get 3/4 tank of gas in 2 and minutes and be on my way for 28 bucks.

2 Likes

This thread is now a recreation of groundhog day. There is literally this exact conversation 9 days ago just phrased slightly differently.

1 Like

True, although there was another tesla msrp price increase since last time.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Again: stay on topic

The good news from Tesla’s self driving team keeps coming in:

Don’t worry it’s only lives and expensive property that you would be putting at risk.

4 Likes

this is still on-topic how?

Because smart summon is a gimmick.

3 Likes

MB will be all electric by 2030, expect many others to follow suit, hope I can still get shell v- power for my 1M

3 Likes

And I think the first two sentences are pertinent:

“A Fresno man now has thousands of dollars worth of damage to his Tesla after a new automated feature drove the car into a pole. The man has been in contact with the company but so far it’s denying any responsibility.”

2 Likes

Interesting analysis:

A study by Bernstein analysts found Tesla owners in China were less enthusiastic and had lower repurchase intentions than owners in the United States and Europe.

Tesla raised prices for Model Y Long Range at least six times in the United States this year, bumping by $5,500 to $53,990. In China, the world’s most valuable carmaker raised prices of the Model Y SUV and Model 3 sedan only once this year.

The Model Y version a price tag of 276,000 yuan ($42,393.71). The company also has launched promotional campaigns in China such as loan offers.

And

“Teslas are on average 3x the cost of a typical EV made in China. So they have to be priced less than the US to compete,” Munster said. “Prices of Teslas in China will be below rest of the world for the next decade.”

While Tesla has strived to offer a “cheap/good model”, they have never tried to position themselves as inexpensive. I find it interesting that as a self-described luxury company that doesn’t discount (just changes MSRP on the reg) or market, they are discounting in China to be price-competitive there? And: unrelated to any labor/manufacturing agreements, or current Chinese crackdowns on tech companies (primarily their own).

Tesla also cut costs and boosted margins in the U.S. market by getting rid of some parts like a radar sensor and lumbar support.

As someone who just had a 2nd back surgery b/c of a car accident: seat comfort is a must, and it your passenger seat doesn’t have lumbar, I’m not your passenger.

Early days, but the radar-free Model 3s seem to crave traffic stops like a Mustang craves a packed crosswalk.

Thought Tesla used the word premium rather than luxury.

When ignoring federal incentives, I don’t find much competition for Tesla at the lower end of the US BEV market when looking at MSRP. It’s clear US consumers have spoken and don’t want a $35k Bolt but Tesla can sell all the Model 3s it wants to at $40k.

I don’t think the Chinese BEVs are compatible to Teslas, but they are so much cheaper it of course will cause pause for any consumer. Tesla’s low end competition in the US on the other hand is just a bit cheaper, so it’s easy to justify stepping up.

I recently leased a Bolt, not because it was better but because it was 1/4 the price. Most consumers are LH regulars though.

1 Like

EV is a highly competitive section in China than the US market. You have way more selections. Although no one can beat Tesla for the charging speed & convenience, the gap is smaller.

At least the Model 3 in China market is built in Shanghai, so the cost is more manageable than made in the US…

Well, except Porsche and audis that currently charge at 350 kw.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about the mighty Nio and its’ battery swapping service.

1 Like

Jumping really late to this thread but since when Tesla has become a car that has to be driven when leasehacking is not achievable? it’s really a sad state of affairs when Tesla is perceived to be “The” reference in the automotive industry. Their build quality sucks (I have driven a 3 extensively FYI), they look generic, many of their customers buy because its cool and their corporate culture is toxic…(all IMHO of course)

And any car enthusiast can’t say that seeing a Tesla on the road every 10 seconds is a good thing.

Now on another note I stumbled upon this very funny comment/response on a blog. It seems that Tesla fanboys want to now throw shade at everything out there including trunk space…

Mark

30 April, 2021

Meanwhile Tesla Model 3 dances around BMW, AND has a frunk. Not only more luggage space, but a handy crush zone. As a BMW owner this is key, as you crash into things…

** autoblog@autoblog*

30 April, 2021

Replying to Mark

Tesla usually dances into a tree or parked firetruck burning the owner into a crispy charcoal bricket.

1 Like

:slight_smile: . Good to know. Wonder if any charging station could support that.

2 Likes

Yes, lots of the electrify America stations are 350kw

2 Likes

And that’s perfectly OK. It was however laughable when the early Tesla S was attempted to be positioned as comparable or being equal to an S-Class. The build and interior material quality of them could not have been further apart.

It’s a very different driving experience for sure. The early Model 3 cars were painted with a roller judging by the way they looked in their showrooms, hopefully they’ve gotten better. Glad you’re enjoying retirement.

1 Like