Anyone else think halogen headlights in luxury cars are a crime?

I had this debate with a salesperson at a BMW dealer. Was looking at an X1 and said I’ll only consider one with the LED light package. Only 1 of their 25ish in stock had it. She said most people don’t care, and don’t even care about things like keyless entry.

Am I the crazy one?? Give at least HIDs if not LEDs as a base! come on, it’s a car that starts at 35k from a high end brand!

Saw the same problem with Mercedes btw.

8 Likes

Don’t disagree, but many people just care about having the badge.

3 Likes

It’s sad. Depends on the car, but it may or may not be a deal breaker for me. Even Toyota and Honda equip their cars with projectors, which still is an upgrade from typical halogen. But once you drive a car equipped with true xenon, especially at night, it’s hard to go back to traditional halogen.

3 Likes

HID should be standard like back up cams are.

7 Likes

I would never buy a car with halogens… $1,500 option makes the car 100 times better looking and you can see better at night too :)))))

1 Like

I think it depends on where you drive. I never really thought about the lights but I am in LA and there are street lights everywhere.

However I think most people do want keyless entry and start. So much more convenient.

1 Like

Meh. I like the look of HIDs and LEDs, but I would not expect them to be standard on a “high end” brand’s entry level vehicle like the X1. I agree that the entry level luxury cars are targeted towards badge-chasers who may not care about things like lighting, keyless start, real leather, etc.

1 Like

Yup and if the car already have projectors it’s easier to upgrade to HID with a retrofit kit. You can stick HIDs in reflector housings but have fun blinding EVERYONE. Been there, done that. No thanks.

1 Like

I can’t imagine myself driving any of the 3 Germans entry models without the lighting packages.
Daytime running lights should be standard, especially in luxury brands considering almost every brand offers them now.

2 Likes

The crime is to have heated seats as an option on 50K+ BMW or Benz. I don’t understand that.

5 Likes

X1 is not exactly “luxury” car.

Basically a Mini with kidney grill.

4 Likes

Your mistake is in assuming an X1 is a luxury car. It’s not, regardless of what badge happens to be on it. Also see: Mercedes CLA; Acura ILX, etc.

In other words, it’s cheaper than the average new car.

2 Likes

Counterpoint: Volvo xc40. They did it right. If bmw puts its name and badge on the car, it is representing the brand. They’re devaluing the brand this way.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you, but it’s also up to consumers to reject products that don’t hold true to their brands. That’s the best way to send a message: reject shitboxes like the CLA and ILX, then they’ll get it.

6 Likes

Same with a heated steering wheel. I have one on my Hyundai Sonata, but I have to special order an Audi to get one because they’re so hard to find.

2 Likes

I would never buy a base BMW. There’s no reason to pay that much money just for a brand,

4 Likes

Pretty hard when badge chasers buy literally anything the brand offers, and would rather get their badge for a few dollars less without the lighting package

3 Likes

Entry level luxury is targeted usually for poser, cheapskate and/or people who dont have a lot of money. Not saying you are any of those. Who do you think buys S class? Old farts with money coming out of their wazoo!

3 Likes

It’s not our Pretty Boy, is it?

1 Like

Depends on what one defines as “base”…a 320i might be BMW’s least expensive sedan, but a 6MT RWD with sport seats is arguably the closest one can get nowadays to the E36s and 46s of the past. You need a different set of skills to drive it and enjoy it vs just stomping the gas pedal on a much more powerful automatic. I personally don’t care about a moonroof or whatever non-driving amenity isn’t standard compared to a 330i*…in fact those things just add weight and raise the CoG.

A 320i has good bones (the f30 chassis), and IMO gets unfairly lumped in with other entry level “lux” models like the CLA and ILX which are both based on cost-driven, cheap FWD architecture. In some ways a GLA is even “worse” than a CLA, being a rebadged Infiniti (which in some cases is a rebadged Nissan).

*For the record I do consider good headlights to be a driving amenity.

1 Like