Any way to reduce or get out of a high lease payment?

I desperately needed a car earlier this year but the market was terrible, so I waited until May when I was able to land a relatively good deal on a VW ID.4 Pro S. Just a couple of months after I signed my lease, VW started offering way better deals on the ID.4. Is there any way I can take advantage of that, or should I just forget about it?

Forget about it

9 Likes

Lol yeah Gammal needs to never visit LH again during his current lease, and never look in the LH marketplace.

3 Likes

It’s a sunk cost. No way to recoup now.

If it was all high cost based on MF or an artificially low RV, maybe then you could buy it out and finance it, but if it’s due to lack of rebates or low discount, the ship has sailed.

2 Likes

Never hurts to ask!

1 Like

On LHer, sometimes this is far from true…

1 Like

Nothing to be done about the lease you signed. It looks like you paid a little more than $2k at signing so that’s a sunk cost.

You leased a brand that charges a higher payoff to third parties, so your only exit is to buy-out/resell (only in CA you have 10 days to resell and recover any sales tax that paid) or sell to an Audi/VW dealer. You can check your current payoff and MMR to see how deep the hole is, but you’re most likely flipped.

Doesn’t hurt to check your equity position, worst case you just stay in your current lease. Best case you might be able to get out without major negative equity.

4 Likes

Obviously 2021 was a lifetime ago, but my experience was VW dealers were an order of magnitude off from 3rd party offers and it seemed clear they knew you’d have to jump through some hoops to take any other offer.

1 Like

Did you buy at Costco? They do price match, I think.

Good thing winter is coming soon. What you do with this information is between you and Jesus.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.