Any VacationHackrs?

quite useful for when your car is in the shop.

Check your Amex Offers.

Anyone here travel to All-inclusives with kids (I know it may not be a popular way of traveling, but I find it easy and convenient when traveling with kids). Looking for some new destinations/recommendations. We’ve been to Mexico, DR. Any vacation hacks for this type of vacation lol? I priced out some resorts and the prices are almost double from what they were a year ago…

I just got did Beaches Turks & Caicos with my 2 year old daughter and have done club med several times (both their adults only and family resorts).

I have found with some of the resorts, the cost is the same if you book direct or if you bookcthrough a travel agent, however, some travel agents will give cash back after yiu complete your travel. I have used that when booking club med trips.

2 Likes

Is Club Med still one of those ‘organized’ vacay’s where they book your itinerary type stuff?

Nope, not at all. The biggest difference between it and a other resorts is the staff interactions. Its a far more social experience. Not uncommon to have staff join you for happy hour or dinner, etc. Its more summer camp for adults than luxury resort. Its the one resort we keep going back to.

1 Like

Places like Lifemiles or FlyingBlue have broad enough applicability to most people, that you can just use the miles for a different trip. Use expertflyer to set alerts to find availability for the routes you need. And just set a reminder that they don’t expire. Especially if you transfer during a transfer bonus time, hard to get better value.

Beach is nice, hotel grounds are nice. If you’re not planning to go into Miami much and just stay by pool/hotel quite nice. Summer had a bit of seaweed (2021) but was fine the last time we were there. Random property pic. Didn’t stay in the hotel/rooms, can’t speak to those.

1 Like

Check Chase offers too. Used to be trash but Recently gotten $ back from work-reimbursed stays on Marriott / Westin / Amtrak offers.

2 Likes

I understand why it’s a compelling value proposition for some, but for one thing I can’t even use AA miles as fast as I earn them… so we can go anywhere Oneworld can take us with those.

Transfers to hotel chains that have a significant US presence have broader appeal to me, but I don’t often need those points either (plenty of Marriott and Hilton points banked, and we use VRBO/Airbnb at least as much as chain hotels).

I put very little spending on our Chase cards as a result. If it doesn’t pay 5x URs (essentially 5% cash back, the way I use them), the purchase goes on another card.

Are you putting other travel spending on your Chase card(s) where these offers pop up, and/or using a Chase card that’s marketed as a travel card?

I recently opened one of these for my spouse as well.

We still have no long-term use for this product, but it was an easy $250 referral for me…

… plus another $750 in travel for us after spending $4,000 (which took all of 90 seconds as I paid some insurance bills that are due in a couple of weeks).

Just applied for a Citi Premier for my spouse and got declined. Let’s see what the AA letter says when it arrives… (I’m guessing too many recent accounts/applications, or something similar).

We are taking kids to Hilton La Romana AI in DR using points as a pretty excellent deal (80k points a night plus 5th night free) Have been there with my wife previously and we loved the resort. Would like to try some of the Hyatt AIs but they get pricey quick with points when you go above 2 people.

I was there in May. The beach there is amazing! I hope you’re flying into PUJ as it is only 45 min away from the airport. if you going to SD it’s about 1.5 hours.

Hotel is labeled as a 5 star resort…but I would not call it 5 stars…my biggest issue was service and bars (drinks sucked). Food was mediocre. Other than that the hotel grounds, WATER PARK!!, and beach was amazing. Would go back. Enjoy your trip!

Yep, doing PUJ - we liked the sit down restaurants but did not like the buffets. I’m not a big drinker but we got upgraded to premium room/lounges and thought that made it better (though I probably wouldn’t pay for it)

I also heard decent things about Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica but haven’t been there myself

Aruba Vacation question, do their beaches are kids-friendly as we are planning for 5 days trip to Aruba during our winter break. Is that same kind of resorts/ kids-friendly places like in Cancun? Please let me know. TIA.

There are great beaches in Aruba. For Eagle beach - rent an airbnb across the street. Or book a hotel in the high-rise area. Not Cancun style AI though.

1 Like

Call the reconsideration line, no need to wait for the letter. Sometimes it’s just a matter of decreasing the credit line on another card so that she’s not over extended. Or income verification.

1 Like

Citi is notoriously fickle with approvals with this card. I received a denial a few weeks back - first denial in almost two years of churning. So moved on to BofA Alaska biz - almost done with that sub and then back on the Chase Ink train for hopefully my third Ink this year.

1 Like

Same here - mine was declined because I’m not using the available credit I already have on other cards - even though I don’t have an open Citi card. Other banks don’t seem to mind with this but Citi does (my overall total lines is well under 1x my annual salary so not super excessive). I also had the card 4-5 yrs ago