Any Saab Fanatics?

I have an opportunity to get a 2002 9-3 Viggen 4D with 100k miles. Body is average, full service records since new and current owner has had it for 8 years. Probably will need some seals and gaskets replaced soon. Has recent clutch, water pump, oil change etc. price is $4000.

I drove it and loved it. But I’m afraid it’ll break my heart. Anyone have any experience with these?

That seems pretty close to on the money for a late Viggen with 100k on the clock. Not exactly a lot out there to compare. I have owned four Saabs over the years but never a Viggen. If it feel right give it a try, though! Parts are still pretty available for the bubble-butt 9-3 hatchbacks.

No. I feel like the price is fair. I’m worried I’m going to end up dumping a fortune into it to keep it running.

My first new car was a 1987 Saab SPG and loved it. My son (was born way after my first Saab) wanted a 2006 93 turbo in 2008. I drove my Saab for over 8 years and my son drove his for 8 year as well. Only reason why we got rid of our Saabs was because they started to become a money pit. BTW none of our cars exceeded 100K miles because things started to go terrible wrong with them. You might want to consider putting money in the bank for future repairs on your Saab (if you can find a reputable mechanic).

Yep. Luckily here in Seattle there are at least 3-4 in my area.

My feeling is that it would require $4000 a year in maintenance before exceeding what I spend in car payments.

Funny. My wife and I had this car. We basically have said, this was our favorite car ever. (should note, not Viggen model).

Comfortable, zippy, huge trunk.

I will say, you will probably have to spend a chunk of change on maintenance.

We bailed our on car, when it would no longer pass smog.

But you could be lucky.

If you go in with eyes open, budget some $ for repairs, could be a good car.

good luck

I drove a 2001 9-3 for 9 years. I still miss that car. It was fun to drive and felt fast due to all the torque steer. It did break a fair amount later in its life, but it taught me a lot about DIY automotive repair. But I don’t have the time or a garage to do engine-in-car engine bearing replacements or dismantle the whole interior to fix electrical problems, replace bulbs, or fix ignition switches these days.

I still price Viggen’s from time to time. A good one is hard to find now.

Thanks all. I’m buying it. It has full service records from the last 15 years it was owned and it’s been serviced at the same Saab specialty shop here in seattle for the last decade.

It feels like a good one. I’ve budgeted $2k upfront for some seals and gaskets I know it needs replaced. But if $6k gets me a properly sorted Viggen that I’ve wanted to have since i was a kid, it seems worth a shot!

4 Likes

I had a dark blue viggen hat, still trying to find it!

As much as I like an older car, the lack of modern features will make me get sick of the car pretty quickly. From the lack of proper climate control, manual key operation, the lack of infotainment system. I get in a car that is more than 5 years old and I feel it.

With all that said, I still sometimes miss the back to basic feeling you get with an older car. We have a new smart car that we use as a 3rd car. I actually admit how basic it is sometimes. In some ways I like it a lot

There is very little I miss with a USB Cigarette lighter adapter and my iPhone mount. Until recently I always had physical keys, etc.

I’m picking it up tomorrow night and really very excited.

Post pics 20202020000

1 Like

Ensure the crakcase vent mod is up to date, they had so many versions of that fix, that the engine pan is not full of sludge, that the SID display has all its pixels (ha never true), the MAF sensor is clean and not covered in racerboy modded Cold air intake lube, the T7 throttlebody is working right, and the engine mounts are sturdy, and the fuel filter is not clogged, and the ignition switch is not corroded inside resulting in all the accessories malfunctioning.

Oh yeah and all those rubber air hoses that decayed were fun. Just replace all the rubber stuff under the hood… oh and put an extra DI casete I’m the trunk

Sorry reminiscing :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been through the records and the car is completely stock. I also have receipts for synthetic oil changes every 3-9 months since the car was new, so that’s good.

I do plan to speak with the shop tomorrow about the crankcase vent. SID is actually in great shape too. Car is really super clean and well maintained which is what is appealing to me.

I’m budgeting between $3k-$4k per year for maintenance in the first year.

Awesome, I’m jealous! I’m sure you will be fine. It’s not a hard car to DIY, lots of great resources on the forums. It was a great community to be a part of too. I miss that. I bought a Mini and the forum experience was moreso people talking about how to best be-dazzle a steering wheel or talking about feeling special and unique for having a certain color/racing stripe/side scuttle pattern combo. Barf. I liked the engineer crowd better than the Kardashians.

1 Like

The other nice thing is that Saab is still really popular in the PNW and some really top notch shops.

I drove it 3 blocks and decided I had to have it. Just one big smile. Also the seats are amazing.

1 Like

Are you planning on using this as your daily, or a fun car?

My brother-in-law snagged a 99 lightning blue Viggen a couple years ago from somewhere up in Vermont. He flew up and drove it back to Pittsburgh. Had like 53k on the clock at the time, interior was immaculate. Suspension needed some TLC as well as the exhaust, but otherwise, it was in great condition. It’s his weekend fun car, and man, although it’s quirky, it’s a blast to drive.

Some combination of both, I think. Probably a DD for a while until I decide what i want to replace the MB. Eventually a fun car.

The only gripe I had with it was the amount of torque steer when hammering it in 1st gear. However, I’d gladly get used to it if given the opportunity :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Almost being jerked into oncoming traffic was the best part of my test drive!

1 Like

I’d buy it!

I once had a 2002 9-3 Aero with the Viggen exterior packet but with the smaller 2.0L engine. Wish it was a real Viggen… Love the seats!

Took that car apart and reassembled multiple times. DIY super easy. I even remember taking the SID apart to iron the cord to get the pixels back. There’s a handy Swedish forum for Saabs where there is a wealth of knowledge. Saab Turbo Club of Sweden - most of them speak English as well.