Am I nuts for mulling getting my teenager a sports car as her first car?

Probably because her dad has owned Porsches forever as has her mom. It’s in her blood I guess. Also her car has to be AWD (my rule given our climate) and that rules out a lot of other options.

get her a 944 then? if you have some mechanical skills it could be a fun process working with her on it.

Sure, giving kids things they didnt work for always motivates them to work harder. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

You seem like you already have your answer, so why are you asking?

Yes it’s a bad idea but if you want to do it, go ahead

Would feel way better with my kid in a new 30k civic than a 30k 911 but you do you.

14 Likes

Personally, I’d go for a ‘fun’ car that’s:

1. Newer/safer
  2. Slower (but still fun)
  3. Less expensive to fix. Even if new driver doesn’t total it, prepare for tons of parking lot scraps and smaller fender benders. It happens.

So I’d probably go:

1. Used 86/BRZ
  2. MX-5
  3. Acura RSX (personal bias here)
  4. Audi TT
  5. BMW Z4
2 Likes

Audi TT would be a great option given this. Also an A5.

This is LH, the mere mention of driving a European car out of warranty, and you’ll hear stories about the day out of warranty the vehicle will spontaneously combust and you’ll be out $27,000 in costs to fix it. I had a BMW that was about 9 years old and I had one unexpected $600 repair plus some consumables that I otherwise wouldn’t have paid for. Still less expensive than a new acq fee, dealer fee, increase tax expense, etc…obv ymmv but it is overblown in general and especially on this site.

4 Likes

why not a cayenne.

she’s gonna crash it might as well keep her safe and have room for friends and a real trunk.

even I, the best driver in the world, crashed my first car.

22 Likes

COOLEST DAD AWARD!

i wanted a 911 turbo in high school…my dad was on board but my mom was like HELL NO :joy:
i ended up with a 2004 terminator cobra and a 2007 suzuki gsxr 600 as a 16 year old…idk how i made it but i made it!!!

3 Likes

Financials aside, I’m not certain that I would go with a 911 for my child’s first car. I would likely look into getting something newer/a bit more modern and safer. I also think the 911 (of any generation) is too much car for a brand new driver 95% of the time.

Especially with her being a brand new driver, you really don’t have much of a feel for things IMO. Is she going to take care of the car, will she be a decent driver, etc. I could potentially see considering the 911 as a HS graduation present, college graduation present, etc. but not now. That is speaking as being a reasonable person & a parent.

Speaking as a car enthusiast & as if I were to receive a 911 as a teen - you would be the best dad for at least a couple of weeks LOL.

7 Likes

I got my license at 17, 11 years ago. Long enough where I have come a long way in my driving abilities and decision making abilities. Recently enough where I remember some of the stupid things I did. I would caution against a sports car. You are a great father if you’re willing and able to spend 20-30k on your daughter’s first car. I, personally, would buy something safe. Something as simple as automatic emergency braking would have saved my family a few thousand dollars in accidents when my sister and I were new drivers. You will never regret buying the safest car you can afford for your child.

16 Likes

I got a Jeep Wrangler as my first car. Flipped it 3 months later. My son will be driving a tank for his first car, that’s if there’s still driving allowed in 14 years…

12 Likes

She’s just a kid. Don’t put her in a Porsche man.

14 Likes

WRX?. It’s AWD, as OP wants.

2 Likes

I swear we get catfished here with these topics ? Who’s writing these ? Bravo. Going to get all of LH to chime in by 6 o clock. :joy:

4 Likes

r/whatcarshouldIbuy

+1000 on this. A woman who was just minding her own business was killed when a teen in a Lambo (Urus, I think) collided w/ her. IIRC, that teen had actually received a few citation/tickets for speeding in the few yrs since they had gotten a license prior to this accident.

On top of being sentenced to several months in a juvenile “camp,” there was also an $18 million (not a typo) settlement, and, of course, a dead person.

The case sticks in my mind b/c I work about 5 mins from the the site of the collision. That could easily have been me or a friend or a loved one who got killed. And all b/c a rich parent couldn’t say “no” to their kid.

I grew up in an affluent family. My sister’s first car was a Mercedes. I don’t have kids but, having seen all the stuff that “goes into” a teen receiving a gift like that and having seen what can happen afterward, I would never purchase an expensive car (let alone a sports car) as the first car for my teen. Safe, yes. Modern, yes. But not fast, powerful, or expensive.

OP, I hope you take into account how responsible your teen is when making the decision. And, if she shows early on that she can’t handle this gift responsibly, I hope you take it away.

11 Likes

A GLC300 is still a MB, vs an SLK/AMG.

A Porsche family might opt for a Base Macan as a first car, or a non-Turbo Boxster/Panamera.

The WRX (I was 25 when I got it) was delightful to insure when it was still actuarially in the same category as the Impreza. By my first full-year renewal it was broken-out and much, much more expensive. During that timeframe, it was still better to drive than an EVO because the loss ratio on those was so much higher, they loved a good tree or phone pole.

Whatever OP gets, a hard-wired dash cam they can’t format/erase themselves would be a great investment. That first year of solo driving is filled with life lessons, that hopefully don’t cost someone their life.

5 Likes

Different type of flipping but not really :joy:

10 Likes

In 14 years I am envisioning the congestion of Miami / So Florida will lead to a maximum of 10 mph to get anywhere. Good thing is the tank should get decent mpg at slow speeds.

1 Like