Ally Lease Buyout

Same as most of you here. Ally gave me a dealer buyout that was $11k more than my buyout. Its actually only $3k less than the original MSRP of the car.

I know they want to cash in but quoting almost MSRP seems a little excessive. Then again, I guess they can ask for whatever they want since they own the car.

Ally’s dealer buyout for my Pacifica was $20k over my lease buyout ($48k vs $28k). It was $300 less than the original MSRP of if.

Paying it off and getting away from Ally. Such BS.

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra 28K Miles. I have only 2K miles left on my lease ending in 5 months :frowning:. ALLY won’t give me a payoff because I’m in Florida so how. Lucky I’m also a dealer so I’ll call “Dealer Services” to see how far they’re going to mark up the price. TERRIBLE TIME TO BE ENDING A THIRD PARTY LEASE.

I have about 6 months left on my lease, and I want to purchase the car, but I might as well wait until the end, just incase.

Knowing that Ally is slow, and they possibly might try to make this harder, how soon should I start the process? 30 days before enough time? Or should I give it at least 60 days?

I don’t want to get into a gotcha situation, and I can’t buy the car anymore.

If I send a check from a joint account with his name on it and not mine. Is that a third party check? Same address, same account, same money.

The “payment research” department accepted the money because it was a joint account.
The “lease buyout” department is refusing to acknowledge the money and calling my husband a dealership.

How can they accept the transaction and then reverse it?

They specifically mention that your name must be on the check. So, they can argue that it’s not you. But, since they are anyways signing the title for you, I believe they shouldn’t have much worry. You could convince them somehow. You could just tell them if they insist that they need check in your name, it’s going to be the same money from same account that they will be dealing with again - just that it will be a new check. So, they might as well start the process now with what they got.

When I was about to do the lease buyout and had a chat with Ally agent, they said it’s okay as long as they receive the check within 7 days even after the lease end. When I asked even further, they said they are okay with getting the money even within 30 days after lease end. So long as you are doing the buyout, they said there is nothing much to worry. Anyways, you can check with them in the last month or so to be sure they still keep this policy.

EDIT: If your plan is to keep the car, you have an option to finance your buyout with Ally directly. In that way, all the dmv hassles are probably not your problem anymore. I am not sure how that works though.

1 Like

All,

I have a 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia that I’ve been needing to get rid of due to a new job. I’ve had it up on a swap-a-lease for a lease transfer and have had several people reach out about it but Ally only allows in-state lease transfers which is just great.

I am now debating buying it out from Ally (I know the dealers are a complete lost cause at this point) Does anyone know how the tax works in this situation? Ally’s buy out sheet specifically says there’s no tax included. Am I going to have to pay sales tax on the full buy out price? I am a Missouri resident so if buy out the car from Ally, pay MO sales tax and then sell it to an out of state buyer will it essentially be double taxed? Ally was zero help when I tried to ask about this. Any advice is appreciated. This has been a total nightmare to deal with and I just want it to be over at this point.

Yes, one generally must pay tax on the purchase price when they buy it out.

Ally is a nightmare to deal with: misinformation, disinformation & LIES… “that’s not my depertment” , call gets disconnected when they try to transfer you to another department. “We can only mail you a letter” , then when you don’t receive it & it’s weeks later & you’ve still gotten nothing, they then can email it, but that takes a week or more. "Yes you can extend your lease another 30 days (lie). So, I ask, can I pay something until the new vehicle I want becomes available? “No, your contract is up, so you owe nothing, so long as you are not over your mileage.” Clearlane, their lending partner division, rate jumped up 3% interest when I went to commit to end the pain of the lease nonsense. Never again with Ally!