Ally Charging extra to sell car to dealer

Ally is fine with selling direct to the customer but they are not great partners for dealers and customers that want to trade into dealers (most likely not leasing another vehicle through Ally). This policy ensures they rake in GIANT gains on every thing that the dealers pass on because those dealer buyout prices are close to where they sell the vehicle at auction.

This is why you should think twice about leasing your next lease through Ally, US Bank, GrooveCar or CAL. All of those non-captives have a similar policy. CULA, who I work for, charges dealers the same price as the customer which makes us one of the few lenders left that still does that. We are losing quite a bit of money with this policy in the current wholesale environment but it is enabling us to originate the most leases in our 30+ year history.

4 Likes

I ended up buying my car off of Ally then sold it to carvana.

Do you have any info regarding Bethpage FCU policy?

Yes, with Bethpage the dealer can get the same buyout price as the lessee as long as it is a true trade in before the term date. I recommend trading in 30 days before your term date to make sure.

1 Like

Great info thanks!

How many months left did you have on your lease?

Heyy which bank did you choose for the loan.