Alfa lease ending in 3 months, sell to make profit

Is it possible to call Ally and know this number, or do they only give this number to the third party when they ask. I’d assume it must be the same number for my car for any third party that wants to buy.,

You can pretty much figure it out. Get a bunch of buy out quotes, take the highest one, and thats pretty much what it is.

Each one is different, you ask MCA and they tell you the whole procedure. BTW There are only 3 of them so find that list posted elsewhere and contact those guys.

1 Like

Ally will not provide you your buy out or the dealers. You have to go through a dealer to get this information.

Correct it will be the same for any dealer. My Alfa dealer was able to look it up online.
It was about 5k more than my buyout.

I decided to take the risk and sent a check to Ally today. Fingers crossed.

Would you mind sharing msrp for your car. 5k is big!
Later this month I will get this number from my dealer too then. This won’t be as easy as I initially thought.

Mine is a 51k msrp Stelvio.

Basically the dealer buyout is the market value of the car. When i asked the dealer they said their buyout will be crazy high. They are used to it. It is the same story for all Ally Alfa leases. My residual is low enough to pay tax and still be positive unless the prices drop significantly. (If things go quick enough to transfer in 10 days, can claim tax back but dont bank on that)

I am over the miles so even if i dont make money it will get me out of the lease without milage penalty. I already got my x4e Rubicon.

Is your RV around the same as mine, roughly 27-28k (I don’t remember now but I think my MSRP was lower than 50k). Please keep us posted how it goes. if you don’t mind I will send you a PM in few days to check. Are you in socal area?

You anyways pay the tax to DMV after your buyout I think. If the car doesn’t sell in 10 days you will have to pay tax, is that correct? Would love to get more details on this.

I ordered a 4xe too, few weeks ago, and just seeing these crazy numbers for RV and MF today make me wonder I could never time anything in markets,and maybe same will happen to me if I buy my Alfa . I am scared. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just went through this exact process with my Alfa Giulia.

Sorry to say, the sentiment others shared is legit. Ally is terrible to work with. Best case, you buy the car direct from them (check if they allow that in your state). Worst case, you purchase thru an Ally dealer; which many are still charging absurd fees for the convenience. Either way, you’ll have to pay sales tax.

Can you trade in towards your next car? That would mitigate the tax. That’s what I did.

Also, if the equity is only ~$3k today, I’d give pause to the whole endeavor. It feels like we’ve peaked with the insane used car values. If the general market goes into a recession, cars like Alfa’s will likely be impacted earlier than others. $3k today might be $2k or less when you’re finally ready to execute, ask yourself if going through the whole process, moving money around for payoff etc. is still worth it?

1 Like

OP is from California, the one state where he can recoup the tax if he sells it quick.

1 Like

My RV is 29K at the end of the lease. I still have 10 more months on the lease. It was a 27 month lease though. 2020 Alfa Stelvio. I live in Michigan. Ally adds 6% tax to my buyout.

I can ask it back if I can finish the transaction in 10 days. I hoping I will still be positive without getting it back but CA will be harder to justify with higher tax rate.

Yeah 4Xe monthly numbers will get significantly worse but if you plan to keep it, it is probably ok. I signed mine on April 30th. Glad I did.

It’s 10 days from when you receive the title…utilize and save the documentation you receive. The postmark on the envelope, etc…

Doesn’t that imply the car was Registered in CA? That’s gotta be fun trying to move cars across state lines just to avoid some tax.

As you noted a few posts up and the op noted by tagging CA in the post…I would have thought that was enough context to believe the car is already registered in CA and I do not see any posts indicating otherwise or another state.

correct. Registered in CA and stayed in CA throughout.

I said that because you answered Bonanza

As you can see, it’s a MI car with trying to use CA cash back? It confused me

Ah, my mistake in replying to Bonanza vs OP.

My buyout is close to what I can get for it, but I add in the sales tax and I am under. The one positive is the offers haven’t changed in about a month.

Honestly just turn the car in at the end and walk away.

• I haven’t contacted my dealer (the Alfa dealer I leased the car through) yet, but is it weird to call them and ask them to give me an offer too?

• The only way to know which third party dealer (like honda/ford/gm dealer nearby) will take ally leases is to call one by one? or is there a better method?