Advice on 24 Month, Low Mileage (5k/yr), Sports Car Lease

Haven’t seen an MX-5 lease yet. GLWT!

1 Like

I think the porsche way would be to charge extra for the floor mat delete option.

1 Like

Weight savings!

-Only on the GT models.

1 Like

Maybe I have the chanceto become some sort of legend around here. (Signs 600 dollar a month 72 month lease)

I think you’re going about this all wrong. The cars you’re aiming for, none of them lease well.

Why not find a nice used 124 Abarth (or something else on your list), finance it but tell your wife you’re committed to dumping it after 2 years if that’s what she wants.

You can get a 124 Abarth for under $20k and with the low miles you intend to put on it, it likely won’t depreciate anywhere near what your budget is ($9,600 over 24 mo). Heck if you really like the 500 Abarth, you can buy a used one for not much more than your budget.

3 Likes

Don’t want to rain on your parade but @TypeSH is probably right.

3 Likes

Appreciate the candidness. You are probably right!

BTW does this forum usually respond this quickly. You guys are awesome (or bored, or a combination of both)

BTW is there a general “This sports car leases well and doesn’t cost a kidney,” ?

Can’t reply anymore btw cause I’m a noob. I appreciate all your comments!

1 Like

Not really.

F-Types leased really well a couple years ago (if you want to consider that a sports car), but the deals are nowhere near as good as they are now.

2 Likes

Responsiveness is definitely up in the times of shelter in place.

I don’t think there’s been a sports car that leases well since the great F-type firesale of 2017.

2 Likes

That being said, do your research on MSRP discounts (not a lot of information of those cars here, but maybe work through KBB or something like that), negotiate pre-incentive, add that in, get base MF and RV from Edmunds, and plug into calculator.

We don’t want to dissuade you from getting the car you want, but there has not been any traction on those models in a long time.

1 Like

Take a look at the BMW Z4. It will not lease sub $400, but if you omit an additional rezi outing you can get a base model.

1 Like

Have you tried maybe swapalease for a short term on something?

2 Likes

Go for it! I am with you on this one!!

2 Likes

I’ll throw this out there: a few months back I helped a buddy find a 124 Abarth. He was looking at trading his Civic Si in for a roadster of some sort. I found him a loaded (convenience package, leather, HIDs, just not the Brembos however) 6-speed 2018 with 20k miles for under $20k.

I drove it around, it was a ton of fun and I kind of want one myself. Felt like a proper low slung roadster. I’d take one over a Z4. The most I’ve like a sub-100k roadster since the S2000. Kind of had quasi S2000 proportions too. And frankly a 2018 124 Abarth goes for less than a 2008 S2000.

2 Likes

This put me on track to find a 124 Abarth! Thanks! I have one coming to Carmax to test drive.

Of course its not there yet and I noticed that MX5’s (not RF) are leasing on a National “special” for 299/MO 36 Months. Not sure if thats awful or not. Nearly 15k purchase price and 2500 down makes me think not good. But not terrible?

Wife1

I guarantee you that you won’t actually be at $299/mo on that advertised special after you get through all the non included fees.

1 Like

Honestly, these are just not cars that are worth leasing. If you want it, you should probably just buy it (especially used if you find a good deal) and then sell it down the line if you must. The 124 Abarth is just such a good deal (plus more content and personally I think it looks more like a higher end roadster than the MX-5 does, plus the roarty turbo-4 and yes I’m aware it’s not as tossable as the MX-5, but is plenty tossable as the MX-5 is a very high bar.

Anyway, good luck either way.

1 Like

Yea for sure. I like the 124’s alot. Wife hates The MX5 and likes the 124 and its cheaper so I’ll probably stick with that. I’m tempted to buy a 124 Lusso for 4k less then the Abarth and just throw a 500 dollar exhaust on it. Same engine just different suspension.

Did you find that CarMax had a higher price than other dealers?