Advice: 2019 BMW X7 - MSRP $92,590 - 3 yr lease - Monthly with tax $1363 - Drive off $3576

Yes in CA if you are going to buy a car you should plan on keeping it for awhile.

Correct, unless you are planning to keep it forever. Sales tax on the monthly, massively competitive market, capped doc fee make Cali the mecca of car leasing.

I feel like the megalopolises of Texas are next to SoCal when it comes to leasing…but only when tax credits are being offered…

What rebates are being applied? I am only aware of 1250 loyalty. Do you have something else?

Umm, no. The only “credit” is that you’re not taxed on an amount done as a trade-in to reduce cap cost, but then you’re at risk for that amount, as you are with any down payment. There’s also a “credit” in NJ for sales tax paid, when you register the car in another jurisdiction.

Um, yes. That’s the very definition of a credit and how it works. You don’t have to pay sales tax in the amount of the credit. By contrast, in CA, and as this thread now proves, you do have to pay sales tax. To be clear, we’ve only been talking about sales tax in this thread and how purchasing a car in CA is not a viable alternative to leasing due to the lack of sales tax credit.

But you only get a “credit” if you have a trade in, which most people who serially lease do not. It’s not exactly a credit, either. It’s just that you’re not taxed on the value of the trade and thus you’re “credited” on the amount of cap reduction you get for the trade.

But that (trade in) was the key predicate to the discussion. Re-read the thread and you’ll see. That’s the big matzo ball that you missed.

I have a question,
I am looking at X7 5.0 MSRP 105,995 and they are offering 98,995 with a MF of .00185 and a res of 57. first month and acquisition due at signing 2412.38. 36,000 miles 3 years. I am brand new to this sight and can’t figure out how to start a new thread.

Sale price looks right around invoice. Not sure how much harder you can push there but targeting 10% isn’t too unreasonable. Ask for buy rate MF of .00145 as well.

is that for businesses only that you can get a refund for the sales tax paid if you flipped out of lease? Asking for a friend

I would think Income tax is income tax, whether paid by a business or by an individual.

the form says business only

Same response. :slight_smile:

ETA:

1. If the lease agreement is cancelled before the expiration of the term, is the lessee entitled to a refund of any portion of the Sales Tax paid?

Yes. For a long-term lease, for which the dealership collected and remitted Sales Tax at the inception of the lease (based on the entire lease amount), the lessee may seek a refund for the Sales Tax paid for the remaining portion of the lease. The lessee may seek a refund from the dealership or from the Division of Taxation.
The lessee may request a refund from the Division of Taxation by filing a Claim for Refund (Form A-3730) with all supporting documentation within four years of payment of the tax.

1 Like

thank you.