Adding a category for lease barter

Many of the hackrs on this site have expressed their boredom with their current leased cars and are trying to unload them through lease transfer, just to go and start looking for another deal that will tie them up for another 24-36 months. What if we have a category for hackrs who are interested in swapping or bartering their current lease with another one from the community? 12 months lease might be appealing to many people who have the itch to drive more cars in a short period of time. Your thoughts?

Don’t need a new category imo. You can just add in your post that you’re interested in a swap as well. That’s the way I’ve always seen it when people list cars with the intent of buying a particular kind immediately after.

2 Likes

Our current Private Lease Transfer category is set up for that purpose.

7 Likes

If you mean some kinda of informal swapping of each other’s cars for use and not a formal lease transfer I have a feeling it won’t get much traction. Too much liability.

1 Like

Not that. my idea is to have a section with photos similar to garage trophy, for people “who are open to swap”.
You see, the lease transfer section helps by identifying the hackrs who already made the decision to unload their cars, it’s usually more focused on the financial incentive, you see a title with good payment you click on it and more ofte the visual part is lacking and you have to ask the poster to upload some photos, compare that to your experience when you scroll down through the garage trophy. I find it much more enticing to look at beautiful cars that I know I like and I can have before I start negotiating the numbers, if the deal I found is better than the one I have then a unilateral incentive might need to take place.

Like @Siejammy why would someone want to do that, they would be responsible leagally for damage you do and vice versa, it would be much easier transferring and picking up another lease, otherwise if you really want to swap then PM a person who has there car for transfer

I don’t really get the difference in that from the current lease transfer listings. While it would be nice for you as the shopper, the seller also has to want to give up the car and go through the trouble of the transfer process. If the seller doesn’t have interest, they won’t post about their car. The only alternative I could see would be a “make me an offer” type post but there is no benefit to taking a lease swap from someone else if you have to incentivize them to give you the car. At that point you may as well go get your own lease.

2 Likes

I guess you are right. The thought crossed my mind because I saw a couple nice cars n the garage trophy category and I wasn’t sure if it’s appropriate to PM the owners if they would like to transfer their car leases since they never advertised their interest. Some of those deals are amazing and cannot be replicated for the new buyer due to expired incentives, negotiating skills etc. the seller on the other hand might not mind getting some profit and get into a different car, especially if he likes to change cars too often.

I don’t think you are out of line to PM an owner and ask if they would consider it, they can simply decline. The lines start to blur a bit if we encourage average users to go find great leases and then offer them up for ‘sale’ in a sense because that gets into broker territory. In any event, thanks for the input! :+1:

2 Likes

Seems like a sub-category at best. Wouldn’t just adding (Open to Swap) (OTS) work? Most people getting out of their lease usually have an idea of what they want, or simply don’t want the car, and if they are looking to swap into another car there needs to be so many specific factors to line up for it to work.

2 Likes

Those are great points :+1:

Just so I’m clear, you want a new category for swingers that trade their contractually rented collateral instead of romantic partners? If so:

1. can we require they only be written like personal ads? In iambic pentameter?
  2. can we create a financial instrument to short them? Utility-swap-default-swaps?

Interesting idea, but even if this site were the market maker, executing that swap-swap (especially across leasing companies) would be :exploding_head:

How many brands allow lease transfers? Just a few, I think. So don’t see a point to even bother with that. The only ones there will be BMWs and MBs, and IF their owners are open to a swap :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

TFS, LFS, US Bank… But the trophy garage is mostly BMW now adays

Yeah, and transfers are mostly BMW and MB.

1 Like

GM, with stipulations. Ford, Ally, NMAC, if you’re crazy enough to keep liability.

2 Likes

Right, then VW and Audi also

Ally doesn’t keep liability. Full transfer. Shows closed on my credit report. Same with Ford.

1 Like

In the last 25 years I had always bought and paid full for my cars, there is just something special about taking care of your car and knowing it actually belongs to you. But as those attractive lease deals started popping up and became too tempting to pass by I finally caved in and got my first leased car. the problem is after only 3 months I’m itching to get into another car despite the fact that I’m enjoying my new car (or the bank’s car). I guess I’m hocked to the new car experience, and my passion for cars has turned to lust. I’ve always been more content and happy with less, your post opened my eyes that maybe ” swinging “from one car to another is not the answer as that will quickly result in diminished satisfaction and lose of “pride” in ownership.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. I only meant NMAC, but could’ve worded it better. On phone and rushed it :slight_smile:

1 Like