Access Lease Equity - Have to Trade?

How many months are left in your lease?

Ford could buy it out if they really want, but the dealer wants to sell you another vehicle.

You don’t have to put any of the trade equity towards the lease, just have them cut you a check.

Do your due diligence though and check out caravans, vroom, ALGO, etc. The dealer may be giving you a nice number, but the others may do better

This is the critical question in this situation. During the last 120 (or is it 180?) Days of the lease, Ford does not allow 3rd party purchases.

1 Like

This doesn’t make any sense to me

6 months plus (I was granted an extension). Yup, during the last 120-days you cannot trade.

Then the initiating dealer should have no involvement

1 Like

I agree, it is odd. But, I did confirm through several sources this is how Ford does it. You (or a third party) pay the originating dealer, whom pays Ford Financial.

Weird. I have never seen any mention of this when outside the ending period, including when I was selling my Ford lease a few years back.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for the advice to check multiple parties. Carvana and Vroom won’t buy a Ford lease (and their offers were good, but not the best). Carmax gave me a great offer, and the dealer’s offer was even a higher than Carmax.

I agree, the dealer wants to sell me another vehicle (I don’t blame them, that’s the business), but the advice that wherever I go I have to trade it in, is where I am confused. Again, the sales manager even helped me know how to get the payoff completed, but said wherever I go it has to be a trade in. Weird, right?

He may have been confused since you were at lease end before the extension. Also may have a vested interest in encouraging you to do the deal through him.

I thought so too, but he worked with me prior to the extension. At that time, he was very clear on the options… I either turn it in or buy it myself (confirmed by Ford, these are the only options inside 120-days). When he saw the new end-date, that’s when he mentioned I can easily trade it in.

The appraisal and offer for my vehicle isn’t through the dealer, but through a large automotive network… so I technically don’t have to use that dealer (but again, the payoff has to be directed there).

It is weird, but this was confirmed directly through Ford Financial. They said whether I buy it, turn it in, or sell third-party, the payment goes to the originating dealer.

Same. And Ford Credit’s website still lists the mailing address for payoff on their website. :thinking: Recent change?

Very bizarre. This is the first I’ve ever seen of such a thing and very much against what’s been discussed before.

Of course, Ford financial is also notorious for telling completely different things to completely different people.

Out of curiosity, if you go on to the web portal for Ford financial and try to initiate a pay off, what does it say for where to send the money?

1 Like

Just spoke with Ford Financial. For a lease, the payoff goes to the originating dealer (or another ford dealer if the original isn’t available). This is whether I buy it or trade it. They didn’t seem to care whether it was traded or not, just that the full payment be made through the dealer to end the lease (contradicting what the dealer said).

They said outside of 120-days, the third-party buyout price is the same as “my” price, which is the end lease value plus the 500 fee for “buying” out the lease.

Out of curiosity, if you go on to the web portal for Ford financial and try to initiate a pay off, what does it say for where to send the money?

There is no option online to pay it off. It tells me to call Ford Financial. They gave me the info I shared earlier.

Yes, I know. I’m curious to see if it’s consistent with what they said, as it conflicts with the address shown for @jeisensc

Are you CA tags correct or are you in a different state? There are some states that require payoff through a dealer ID the bank doesn’t have a dealer license in that state.

Ahh, sorry for the confusion. Ford financial provided payoff number and said I have to send payment to the originating dealer. Maybe the address listed on the website is for paying off a purchased vehicle loan?

Yes, CA

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.