Seems I put myself in a corner by waiting since June but we had a lot going on.
Wife and I are currently sharing one vehicle (and can do so until spring of next year), 2019 I3 (144$ / Mo) lease expiring in early November
although no issues extending for 60 days - we have our first born on the way and the I3 turned out to be really small for car seat and stroller to even get us through the end of the year. Not to mention needing more space when our parents visit from overseas.
Really wanted to stay in the EV/PHEV space but thats also difficult right now with most larger options being way overpriced or not avail (ID4, XC40 recharge, Mustang etc…) and being in a non friendly EV state doesn’t help either
-Wrangler XE not a good option for a newborn plus cant wait for build (tired to convince the wife though)
-BMW is also becoming a non option due to shortages and lack of safety features we wanted to have on inventory and builds. Plus the decent discount I had back in July seems like its not going to work now but I am used to brand and like to have lease transfer flex.
-Leaf: too small
I so far struck out on Audi and Acura crossovers with ridiculous prices and hesitating to go for less premium cars like Mazda and Honda since payments are not that much better off and their inventories suck.
Brokers: really no one in my neck of the woods that has the deals that make sense - shipping / broker fees would negate the savings.
I was thinking about buying an Arteon 21’ at 0/72 and hold of a couple of years but there again I fear this car will not hold value at all (47% residual on lease) and inventory dwindled since June/July.
Would a Volvo subscription for 5/6 months make sense right now for close to 900$ / month? probably not but I am open.
so it brings me to Tesla - at a risk of being the poster boy for the Meme thread (because I am always hating on this brand) would that make sense to buy one cash or with my own financing and resell next year? not sure the values will hold with so many on the road right now + they keep raising price each month.
Anyway sorry for the long post - I would greatly appreciate your input so I can try to do what makes more sense in the next 45 days or so.
PS: budget is around 500/600 with Zero or minimal DAS / prefer lease transferable brands (or 3rd party purchase allowed), larger sedan is no problem.