About to negotiate my first lease - a few questions (custom Mercedes GLC order)

I’m about to start negotiating my first lease, a 2021 GLC. I want to do a custom order which would have an MSRP of $50k. I know I can’t sign anything until the car arrives (8-12 weeks) but I’ve been told to negotiate the MSRP discount and MF upfront (not the specific number but say the base MF at delivery, no markup).

A few procedural questions:

1. Do you recommend I email dealers with my ask in detail right off the bat, or should I ask for an offer and then counter?

2. How do incentive/rebates play into the MSRP discount - is that part of it or outside? I won’t know what offers are available until the month the car arrives, so should I phrase it as x% off MSRP plus any incentives/ rebates available at time of delivery?

3. I would love to do MSD’s but I don’t know how dealers view them / how it affects their profits. Are they less interested in doing deals with MSD’s? Just curious

4. Would love suggestions for a non-insulting opening ask for the MSRP discount %… custom order makes it a bit trickier.

Appreciate any feedback.

Tell the dealer what you want. There’s no reason to beat around the bush. Make an offer, be specific.

1 Like

Welcome to the community

I don’t think MSDs as a concept affects their profit, MSDs as rent charge reduction tool is between you and leasing company. I’ve seen some dealers being hesitant on doing MSDs just because no-one at the store knew how to do it correctly and they just wanted to avoid unnecessary (as they see it) complication. If you’re planning to do MSDs, I’d be upfront with that.

No reason for opening anything. Search marketplace for recent GLC deals from users and current broker offerings and base your target pre-incentive discount on that. Then it’s a matter of finding the dealer that will do your deal.

I’ll let our resident MB experts chime in now vs later program locks for Mercedes, that is a good question. From what I know, BMW lets you lock either one, when you get approved or when car gets delivered, if program changes. Lets you keep the one you decide is most beneficial.

2 Likes

Couple things to add to @RustyDaemon

1. Custom ordering is so rare among MB customers that the salesperson might not even be familiar with it.

2. Have you run numbers under current programs? Are you prepared to pay how much it comes out to?

1 Like