6 months before your lease is up

So you got the car you wanted, the deal you wanted, and now you fast forward 30 or so months, your 6 months out from your lease ending and you are greeted with the options, what now…

Most of the time you got such a great deal that buying the car isn’t the best option.

Do you pay the disposition fee and walk?

If you like the car/brand do you start talking numbers on another car with the same brand (pending you’ve done your homework beforehand)?

Just curious what other leasees opinions on the topic are. Even though i’m locked in to a lease for now, I still check this site regularly it almost seems cyclical on the month and time of year that some brands have sales and some don’t…

Thanks,
Phil

I think it really comes down to the deal you got on the lease.

If you got a stellar deal, then I wouldn’t buy the car out.

It generally makes the most sense to eat the disposition fee, but if you do end up sticking with the same brand you can almost always negotiate the dealer waiving this fee

If you are a Costco member, You do the Volvo deal where they pay you remaining 6 months of your lease to get you into a new Volvo. You could get a S90 for as low as 3XX a month…

I have Costco. Hmm…I like the s90.

f you are a Costco member, You do the Volvo deal where they pay you remaining 6 months of your lease to get you into a new Volvo. You could get a S90 for as low as 3XX a month…

NM, found it, search feature is my friend.

Last lease that came due for me, ended up buying the car. However I didn’t pay full the agreed upon residual. I called the leasing company and offered to buy it out for significantly less. Remember EVERYTHING is negotiable. My residual was about $25K, I made an offer for $20K, we settled on $22K. And when I bought it, the dealer that did the paperwork offered to CPO it for me for $1195, which I offered $500, we settled on $795. Part of the CPO process is getting the car fully detailed which costs $200 otherwise and then the CPO warranty. So in the end I got a fully detailed CPO for less than the lease contract buyout price. Ironically (in an Alanis Morisette way) I didn’t need the CPO since it was a Toyota and nothing went wrong for 100K miles. But it was still nice knowing if something did go wrong the warranty was there.

My motto in life is ABN…Always Be Negotiating :slight_smile:

And man it’s amazing how a professional detail like that can make the car new again. 3 years of car seat messes, poof, disappeared. Those guys were magicians, lol.

When was this?

I am pretty sure this does not work in 2017 on most brands as the captive has some sort of insurance and tax write off for loss in value. I know first hand from about 5 brands that dont do this.

This was in 2015. 20 chars

Lucky for you. Gm, audi and honda refused to negotiate.

Just out of curiosity, what car was it?

It was a Special Edition 20 Character Toyota Sienna

My wife’s current Kia Soul lease is up in less than 6 months. I’m sure everyone has their own likes and dislikes about their car, but I’m personally more than happy to dump it. It’s made some rattling sounds for a long time and doesn’t drive all that well, so I have no issues with handing the keys back. I plan on buying my next car, so I’m just going to eat the disposition fee and all the wear and tear costs and move on. I anticipate it’ll be about $1k-$1.5k total because I’m missing one of the keyfobs, have a pretty big scrape along the back corner and I’m guessing the tires will be too worn. I’ll probably use some of the tips people mention on here to get used tires online.

Kia just sent me the self-eval package in the mail. It gives you a sizing guide for dents and scratches and tire tread. I asked if I could get my car inspected now, but they said I have to wait until 45 days before. Crossing my fingers that I won’t owe a bundle of money at the end.

Damn, that 20 Characters probably cost .01 on the MF :grinning:

1 Like