$400 range Midsize SUV options? 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe deal check

Hello everyone. I am looking for some advice on where to direct our search. We currently have a 2021 Nissan Murano SL AWD lease ending in June. Back when we signed for this Murano we got it for $400/month, 36/12 terms with I believe it was around $1500 DAS. The time is drawing nearer and I am feeling a little lost on where I should be directing the search for our next vehicle. We are wanting another midsize SUV with AWD, but I realize this is unfortunately a very different time than 3 years ago and I’m pretty worried that there just won’t be a good option to stay in our budget. We honestly have not been too thrilled with the Murano, so certainly not wanting another one (although looking at lease rates I don’t think that would be a good option anyway). Previously we had Pathfinders, which the wife LOVED. We couldn’t get another Pathfinder back in 2021 due to Nissan not having a Pathfinder at that time (they skipped that year). I have looked into the 2024 ones and they don’t seem to lease well at all. I have also been eyeballing the Hyundai Palisade, Subaru Ascent and Mazda CX-90. Can anyone provide me with a good direction here on decent options to be looking into? We are really wanting to stay within our budget of around the $400/month area, keeping the DAS amount below $2,000. We are located in Indiana by the way. So is this even attainable anymore, or am I going to have to face the facts that we will have to look at seriously downsizing?

Also EV is not preferred, though hybrids aren’t out of the question. 3rd row is a bonus but not a requirement. Just looking for some direction here. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks so much.

May I ask out of curiosity, why not an EV?

Our home unfortunately only has 100amp electrical, and it’s already pretty much at capacity. Plus our area still doesn’t have great access to a ton of charging stations. It just isn’t a convenient option for us at the moment. Maybe in a few more years.

That makes sense!

Yeah we also dont have proper home infrastructure, we just got lucked out with 3 electrify america chargers very closeby

it’s on the higher end of $400 but I think you can get into a Audi Q5e, and even charge it on 110v reasonably as well.

I checked and the wife is not interested in that one at all. Kind of trying to stay out of the luxury territory too…

Would any of the options I mentioned be feasible at all? Pathfinder, Ascent, Palisade, CX-90… maybe even the Sorento?

What can you find in the Marketplace for NJ or PA?

This month, I leased a Pathfinder S AWD for 18 months/10k miles per year, for about $403 per month, plus my local sales tax rate of 9.35%, totalling $440 per month for 18 payments. Only thing I will owe upfront is my local property tax/registration. The AWD S has an 82% residual this month for 10k miles per year.

1 Like

Honestly, I think you should look into an EV and bite the bullet. The Ariya is awesome, has tons of Midwest inventory so you’ll 100% stay within your budget (for mid trim, expect $250-300/month with 0 DAS, but you’ll have to put some work in). have a quote from an Illinois dealer for Platinum trim at $400, which I didn’t even negotiate because I got a better one). And you’ll get loyalty which I didn’t have, though I didn’t pay sales tax due to NJ (loyalty still worth more)

Think about it this way - pay $2k-3k for an electrician to permanently upgrade your house’s circuit, or pay it DAS to some dealer and have it evaporate?

I have an EQS SUV and a Platinum Ariya, and it’s incredible to say but the Ariya has become my daily driver, I only use the EQS for client work now. Plus, every woman I know (my gf/friend’s wives) loves their Ariya due to the shape etc. and you can buy extra miles during the lease for $0.10/mile.

Go test drive it and see, because at that price range for ICE car you’ve got fairly slim pickings, especially on features.

2 Likes

If you must avoid EV at all costs, check out @AutoCompanion deal listings. Not sure if they ship to you - Indiana? - but at least you have an idea of what pricing is like. They have VW Atlas and Tiguan, not sure of configurations, but within your budget. And looks like Pathfinder S trim as well, though you’d be cutting it close.

Would still highly advocate for putting the money into your house’s electrical circuit and getting either the Nissan Ariya (you have loyalty) or VW ID.4 though. Excellent cars and fantastic payments.

1 Like

I don’t WANT to avoid EVs but in our situation we really have no choice. The 100amp situation in our home is not something that’s going to change soon. It’s going to cost a lot more than $2,000 and it’s just not something on the table right now. In addition, the area we live in is not home to an abundance of charging stations and isn’t what I would call an “EV friendly” area. For practicality’s sake this lease needs to be a gas, or possibly a hybrid. Maybe by the next lease in 3 years that could change. But not now.

So what I am hearing is that for the most part a gas midsize SUV in the neighborhood of $400/month just isn’t going to be possible?? We would downsize if we could, but with our needs a larger size car comes in extremely handy. My car is a Civic so we can’t exactly go to mine for cargo room.

Why did you ignore the other parts of the last 3 replies, such as looking into the Pathfinder?

Start with the Nissan dealer and see if they want to keep you. Then find a car you like and use the calculator to fashion a deal and shop it around.

Damn, that sucks. If you really can’t work on the electrical issue go check message AutoCompanions and see if they can do something for you. Like I said there’s a few VW and Nissans that may be possible. Good luck!

Property Tax Registration? What State do you live in?

Based on the username and how shitty their situation is, Missouri lol.

Indiana actually. From Missouri originally. Hahaha.

So we drove a few things yesterday and the wife ended up falling for the new Hyundai Sante Fe. That one was not even on our list. We got some basic introductory numbers and here is what they gave us.

I have been working with the calculator trying to get the numbers to work. This is all in after taxes, and the total drive off numbers. We are comfortable with $2,000 total DAS but we need the payment to be really at $450 or less to be satisfied. Can anyone help me with this and enlighten me a bit? I do know the MF SHOULD be .00247 but not sure if it is here?

We went to Nissan to talk about a Pathfinder and their numbers were just atrocious. They also are jacking the MF up from the .00260 it should be to .00360.

Can you all help me make sense of the numbers here?

Hello! I thought I’d create a deal check topic for this one specifically. We are looking at a 2024 Hyundai Sante Fe SEL AWD. Below is what we have been offered.

I know the MF should be .00247, but I am not sure if that is being used here or not…it was my mistake for forgetting to have them write that down when we were there. I have tried plugging this all into the calculator but I can’t seem to get the numbers to line up 100%. I was hoping someone could help me with that and see if the right MF is being used? This is Indiana, 7% tax rate. And the numbers given are with all taxes and fees. We are most interested in a drive off of $2,000 total and wanting to be at $450/month… preferably at 12k miles. We are close, and these numbers were not after a lot of negotiation, so I believe we can do better. Can anyone take a look and help me out?

Nope. Too much information missing such as the monthly payment and gross capitalized cost as well as any cap reductions and all lease inception fees (itemized). Looks like Indy taxes the selling price. All I really need to compute the money factor is the base payment and adjusted cap cost. But I prefer to do a comprehensive and thorough analysis. However, I must have exact figures. Ball Park estimates won’t cut it.

Dealer worksheets often leave much to be desired.

EDIT: Tax = 7% x (37500 + 237.51) = 2641.63

Trying to get all of the information. I did at least get confirmed that the MF they are using is .00247. They also have us at $451/month, $2,000 total DAS for 36/12k.