3rd row SUV on a budget

I’m very seriously considering looking at the QX60, My hesitation comes where most of the good deals people share here and elsewhere involve MSDs , which aren’t available to me in Western New York (buffalo). It seems there’s no incentives for Chevy to sell the Traverse as there’s no good rebates. The Buick or Acadia may be an option to look into. Since we have 4 months before crunch time we can afford to shop around I guess.

The traverse is new thats why not much being offered. Qx60 definitely is a good choice. Check out trophy garage and take a look at @cheapdad00 ride and price.

8 MSDs involved in that lease. No doubt would blow through our budget with out them.

Have you thought about buying?

The thought crossed my mind, but she’s a diva.

2 Likes

How? Her first choice is a Traverse. If she’d be happy in a Highlander, Santa Fe or Pilot, buy it. Look for leftover 2017s and finance it thru a credit union.

Infiniti MSDs are very generous and had a ~$60 impact on my monthly. But there is an extra $1000 this month that just appeared on Friday. Also, not sure if upstate NY was a $1000 or $2000 lease cash region. Even without VPP or MSDs or the extra lease cash, a base AWD QX60 would be in the $400 range dependent upon tax.

I believe taxes in NY are due upfront on residual cost. I will be looking into the QX60. And to the purchasing point I might look into it. The point of contention is she likes getting a new car every 2-3 years and I hate being upside down in a buy. But I will look into it for sure.

Changing every 2-3 years makes you a prime lease candidate unless you are willing to take her castoff vehicle and drive it for longer.

1 Like

Buy a Subaru and you will not be upside down after 3 years.

1 Like

MSD is a fully refundable deposite, it is no different than a CD in a bank except in the QX60 case, it makes 20-25% guarantee return with zero risk, far better than most stock. I wonder why people is still against it.

1 Like

Agree completely, but I think he’s in NY which doesnt allow them. And Infiniti doesny allow the out of state dealer hack the way some other manufacturers do.

1 Like

I suspect your local market is not very competitive. You’re currently paying $322 for an Impala. If that’s the case you’ll need to get used to flying down to NJ or CT every 3 years.

The numbers on this forum might sound attractive but they are practically fictional unless a dealer plays ball.

Might not be true for an Ascent. I can see someone in a place like WNY having to pay MSRP for one this yr. When trying to sell one in 3 years, the game has changed and they’re going for invoice less holdback less incentives.

The play here would be something that holds value equally well or better (Highlander or Pilot), whose dealers are trying to tempt the hordes away from an Ascent.

Toyota and Honda have practically had a captive market of people who outgrew their Subaru’s and those gates have been unlocked.

I think there will be discounts on Ascent from the start, no one pays sticker and Subaru makes them in the US. You normally get nice equity on a Subaru after 3 years, so even with minimal discount one should not be upside down.

The Impala was an uneducated, impulse buy i’m not going to repeat. I have no issue with traveling downstate as i’m down there frequently for family anyway. I guess i just need to do more legwork and thats fine too.

I use to think the same for Toyota’s, but some models go MSRP (even Camrys) or above sticker. I’d imagine the Ascent will be close to MSRP for the first couple of months.

I honestly don’t even think it will be a hot seller. Nothing to look at, too plain for me.

Initially it will, IMO (there are just too many loyalists who were forced to leave the brand and now finally have a 3-row vehicle from their favorite OEM). Subaru is estimating just 5k monthly sales and I don’t think it will have any trouble selling every single one of those initially.

Subaru literally could not have tried harder to make it a larger Outback and appeal to those buyers.

I hope it’s not the next Tribeca LOL