2025 BMW i5 xDrive: Questions around leasing, immediate buyout & NJ EV sales tax exemption

Is a 2025 i5 guaranteed to be NACS? Last I checked bmw had just said they were going to “start” integrating NACS in 2025.

I’m not expecting the 2025 i5 to have NACS as all the news of BMW switching to this mentions it occurring in 2025 calendar year.

Then lease an IX until the i5 has integrated NACS.

Non NACS is fine for a lease but for a purchase and a keeper the lack of NACS would be a dealbreaker IMO, especially considering how close BMW is to NACS adoption.

Plus as your kid grows and you find yourself taking more or fewer roadtrips with more or fewer accompanying friends you may end up reevaluating your vehicle choices. BTDT. You may end up choosing an I4 in 3 years or a 3-row SUV.

1 Like

I agree with you that its important to weigh selection of a car between current vs future needs. That is another reason (besides price) why I didn’t pick the iX and went with the i5 because it was a compromise between family-use while driving a sedan that I liked at a lower price point.

Why do you consider the no-NACS built-in port a dealbreaker for a long term car as I’m wondering if I missed some key info? Here’s what I’m aware of around the whole CCS/NACS conversation:

1. BMW plans to provide a CCS/NACS adapter. Various CCS/NACS adapter charging tests show charging works as expected on non-Teslas.
  2. Certain Tesla charging locations already provide magic dock CCS adapters for non-Tesla EV charging.
  3. I plan to charge my car at home so the only times I may need to worry about NACS would be for long trips.
  4. Balance the above with the number of EVs sold with CCS ports in the past few years, it’s hard to imagine CCS charging support disappearing anytime in the next 5 to 10 years.
  5. BMW is working with other automakers to build a EV charging network that will include both NACS and CCS plugs. This one is a I’ll-beleve-when-I-see-it factor for me.
1 Like

@z0lt3c - Couple more questions. In your screenshot, does the Outstanding Balance amount exclude the future rent charges? If yes, is that the amount under the Unearned Amount?

The calculation they use is:

(Residual Value) + (sum of remaining payments) - (unearned interest) + (purchase fee)

Since the sum of the remaining payments includes the rent charge you won’t be paying, the unearned interest backs those charges out as a negative line item.

1 Like

Thank you!