2023 Subaru Outback Onyx, cap cost to MSRP rate 96.28%, good/fair/high price?

This is going to be my first lease of any brand.

2023 Outback Onyx
NoCal Bay Area

MSRP: $35,508
Cap cost $34,185
acq fee: $595
gross cap cost: $35,985
Money factor: 0.00183
Paid by customer: $1,800(needs more clarification on this item with them)
residual value: $22,725
Monthly payment: $462
down asked by dealer: $1,800(I am targeting 0 on this, more negotiation intended here)

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of shortage as I checked the dealers’ inventory(200 miles radius) on outback. Don’t know if it is still the seller’s market is it was earlier on.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I’m not familiar with Subaru, but you might find a nugget or two here:

Given the thread title it seems you are focused on the cap cost, which is only one element of a lease. Have you confirmed what money factor the dealer is using?

What’s the monthly payment with $1,800 DAS?

Money Factor: 0.00183

Monthly payment: $462 with $1800 DAS

Thanks for sharing the post.

1 Like

Did you shop around?
Putnam tends to give some of the better pricing.

That doesn’t sound very compelling. In the Northeast you can get an arguably better vehicle like an Volvo XC60 for similar if not less, not sure about the west coast.

OTOH if you really like the Outback, just finance it. In 2 of these 36m leases you’d have basically paid off the car and have a huge amount of equity.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input.
My thought is to have fun with this Subaru and switch to the upcoming hybrid 4Runner after 3 years, as I prefer higher SUVs for winter skiing trips to Tahoe, with less gas cost. I do agree leasing outback would not make a lot sense financially.
I did a quick check up on XC 60. They are 10/15K higher in MSRP, it’s hard for me to imagine how it play out similar as outback.

Lower MSRP does not equate to lower monthly payment. You need to factor dealer discount, incentives, MF/RV.

MSRP has had very loose correlation with lease pricing in the past, you could get $50k BMWs for less than $30K Hondas.

Anyway here’s a sample Volvo deal from the northeast; delete any incentives you don’t qualify for

I agree with your point here. Your BWM/Honda example wakes me up a bit.
Did a quick research on the MF/RV Volvo XC Recharge T8 eAWD for my area, which is .00259 MF and 57% RV. I don’t know the range for cap cost, but with just Costco as the qualified incentive, I could see the overall cost of leasing volvo is higher, for this particular case.

Now that’s moving the goalposts, since that’s a top-of-the-line PHEV isn’t it?

You’d need to compare to an ICE XC60 with similar features to an Outback

I’d start a new round research. Thanks a lot for the perspective.

Just ask @jeisensc how fun a Subaru is. I can also tell you :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.