2023 IRA EV/PHEV Lease Credit "pass-through"

iX 50e cheaper than fat etron, fat/fast etron with the new credits sale price being equal.

i4 35e definitely cheaper than Q4 with the new credits sale price being equal

3 Likes

That is the problem, most brands are in similar situation. RV’s are terrible, even worse on EV models.

Almost as if they know where used vehicle pricing is headed.

2 Likes

Think GIF by LA Clippers

EVs had horrible depreciation pre-pandemic (except for some Teslas but I argue that’s because the tax credit disappeared for them).

The EV tax credit is what forces prices down. Why buy a used one when you can buy a new with $7500 off and has updates? The new tax credit has income limits so won’t push luxury EVs down as much… but EVs are like phones and change often. The used EV tax credit (for sub $25K) creates a price floor of sorts though.

Does anyone know if Porsche is offering the same pass-through credit?

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ioniq 5 Leasing as a backdoor into the EV tax credit

Sorry if I missed it, but I was working on a volvo lease and thinking the passthrough loophole will get closed in March with the new guidance. Do we know if this will actually happen? Makes a difference when to pull the trigger on the Polestar and Volvo TVs, if you can wait. Especially since they are so reluctant to incentivize sales now (and have what appears to be a 0.00271 MF.)

Passthrough? You will get adequate notice as nothing is happening to 45W right now.
30D? Well that will end 3/31 unless changes happen.

Okay thanks, I was talking about 45W, assuming they would want to close it for $100k EVs and foreign built vehicles.

They would have to write new legislation as 45w is very … empty.

So you would get LOTS of warning, there is 0 warning right now.

1 Like

OK, makes perfect sense. Just thought it was interesting that the IRS hasn’t finalized the form for businesses claiming the credit, thought they might have a little room there.

If one intends on immediately buying out the lease in Calif it doesn’t make much difference the term, down etc, but if I am going to buy it out after 2 months or so should I do as big a down as possible, with a shorter term?

Still doesnt make much difference. Go for whichever term has.the lowest mf.

1 Like

Thanks, I had assumed that the MF was the same with them regardless of term. I’ll be sure to check that.

AFAIK only BMW is this way (one MF per month across the lineup). Volvo leases can have a different residual and MF for every make, model, trim, and term — and often do.

2 Likes

Has anyone who has filed taxes been held up after claiming the EV tax credit? The date keeps changing for when the IRS will begin processing these returns.

New leasing program on Feb 4 introduced a 00252 MF for a Polestar 2 39 month lease.

Sorry if this has been answered but are VW still being difficult about allowing ppl to flip their leases? I managed it once before but only through a vw dealer.

Correct, dealer or Autogroups with VW dealers only.

Hello experts!! Trying to understand how much would I be paying, If I decide to buyout this lease 1-2months after (I can’t qualify for 7.5k due to household income limit, so exploring this option)

TIA,
CP