2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge Extended Range - How Much Under MSRP?

Be curious if this number is from one of the aggregators (Cars.com, Cargurus, etc) or not?

This is one of the many cars on my short-list, albeit near the bottom. I’ve been tracking inventory at just six SoCal dealers – primarily LA & OC – since April, but added to my spreadsheet about six weeks ago. One store has 12 Inscription Expression Extended Ranges in stock. If you expand to all XC90 T8s it’s currently 133, up from 125 six weeks ago. Most stores are +/- two in that timeframe, the biggest gainer is up 12 and the biggest volume mover is down five (obviously refreshed by inbounds). Surprisingly, they aren’t all stuffed with equipment: all Extended Range at this point, a good mix of 6P/7P, plenty of Inscription Expressions under 75k (a few under 70k).

The XC60 T8 is moving much more quickly. A few stores have similar numbers of XC60 T8s, one store has zero, a couple have had much bigger swings.

Caveat: unscientific. I haven’t verified in-stock at all the dealers, every week, but my spot-checks have been pretty close.

1 Like

Question for a noob… do you determine residual value when you sign the lease contract. Or is residual value just approximated until the lease term expires and they update the residual value?

it is locked in at contract signing

1 Like

The lessor ( in the case of Volvo it would be VCFS ) determines the RV and Base rate money factor typically at the beginning of the month. The RV is set depending on if you choose 10, 12, or 15000 miles per year and is also based on if you do a 24 or 36 month lease.

What about a custom order for a Volvo XC90 extended range?

What’s a good / realistic discount off MSRP to get on a custom order. Invoice is about 6% off MSRP, which is about $4-4.5k. Some brokers have advertised 3.5-4% off MSRP, which is also in line with thevolvoguy selling at $3.5k off MSRP.

Also, most of the Volvo discussion in this forum in Northeast region. Seems that CA is at least a little higher.

The 2022 order bank is closed, AFAIK 2023 still isn’t open. What’s your timeframe?

I can wait some months; not taking the bus or anything. Just looking for a nice 3-row to haul the family around

I am also in a similar boat as you in SoCal. looking for a 3rd row SUV, plugin.
keep us posted if you find at deeper discount.

1 Like

These (7-seat PHEV) don’t really exist outside the IMO highly overpriced XC90. Unless you count the 6-seat Sorento PHEV.

If your goal is to save money look at that and the Highlander traditional hybrid. Sure you’ll spend a few hundred per year more on gas but you’ll save tens of thousands on depreciation.

1 Like

The sorento is an awesome 4 seat suv

Sorry but I am a chauvinist and sexist person, and I recommend a Sienna Hybrid minivan - decent mpg, and your depreciation (it’s a Toyota).

1 Like

But its such a miserable van. You listed the only two good features.

2 Likes

TBF many “7 seat SUVs” are best as 5-seaters.

1 Like

My dealer says 12 months wait on a sienna right now. Same on a rav prime altho it’s only a five seater.

1 Like

I have some general questions re optimizing (if not “hacking”) a custom order for a MY23 vehicle in a competitive market. For example, a 2023 plug-in-hybrid in SoCal. Some great discussion in the X5 45e thread BMW X5 45e Plug-In Hybrid deals

I’m actually more interested in the 2023 XC90 Recharge, but hopefully my questions are of general interest and apply to any relatively in-demand new vehicle in a competitive market (like PHEVs in SoCal).

1 - Is it advisable or ethical to place custom orders with several local dealers, assuming they have non-refundable deposits. And then go with the one that gets the vehicle first. Any downsides to this approach. Obviously, one shouldn’t go crazy, and I would think two (or maybe three) orders would be max.

2 - Relatedly, esp. if only one order is placed, and pricing is the same, how does one select and evaluate the dealer with best timing? Can ask about expected timeline and delivery, but can we believe it. Does it depend on volume of allocations and waitlist size.

3 - Seems that pricing should be capped at MSRP minus any rebates/incentives. Maybe a little more discount depending on the vehicle or market (e.g., no discount for PHEV in SoCal). But for custom orders, I assume that you can demand to exclude all dealer / port installed accessories. This seems significant because most luxury cars in stock on lots have $3-5k of expensive and unnecessary add-on accessories.

4 - Is it possible or reasonable to do a custom order at MSRP now and then try to negotiate a discount when the car arrives depending on market conditions. This seems fine since the dealer can say a quick no and sell it to someone else at MSRP or higher (if the market is still there).

1 - Is if an effective method, sure. Ethical, no. It would be the same if a dealer said we ordered this car for you but someone else offered us more money while it was being built. Also don’t be surprised to be put on a few internal do not sell lists and some dealers will try to fight you on the deposit even if they said it was refundable. This will just cause more stress than necessary.

2 - Ask for the production week or build month. BMW assigns cars production weeks and obviously the earlier the week in the year, the sooner it should be there assuming all the dealers are in the same general location.

3 - Work your dealer how you see fit. Easier to negotiate no add-ons on an order than something already on the lot.

4 - Only if you want to piss off your sales person and then start the whole process over again at another dealer. There is nothing saying you can’t try but no reason to make it more stressful than it needs to be. Just agree to pricing when you order it and enjoy the car.

4 Likes

/thread

1 Like

Agree with everything @wam22 said above

Is the goal here to just obtain a 2023 XC90 T8 as quickly as possible? If so, look at the top 5 Volvo volume dealers in SoCal, look at their Dealer Rater scores, eliminate the assholes, contact the top 2-3 and ask about 2023 orders: are they at MSRP? Do they have a wait list? When does the order bank open (you should get the same answer). Pick one and place your deposit: chances are that the first wave for all those dealers will arrive from Gothenburg on the same ship.

2 Likes

What do you use to find this info.

Depends on where you are, and how far you are willing to go. From there you can look at their inventory levels and turn-over, but also search for press releases, awards, etc.

I’d recommend at least considering: City of Industry (Penske), Santa Ana, Rusnak (they aren’t that big but seem to get a lot of XC90s), and Culver City. Possibly Mission Viejo. But you are going to have to do your own legwork, spreading deposits at multiple dealers is probably not the best strategy.