2022 Pilot SE…worthwhile offer?

I currently have a 2019 CRV with a lease ending in August. In need of a third row and this is the best (as of now) that I have gotten. Good deal or no?

1000 down (this includes all fees, registration, etc)and first month payment DAS, then $333 per month

It looks like you are carrying a large amount of equity from the CRV into the Pilot deal.

That means your DAS is certainly not $1000 + first month.

About $8500 down with equity.

2 Likes

Ok so what should be my next course of action here? Have them remove the 1000 due at signing?

This is not $1333 due at sale. Its $8887 due at sale, making your effective payment $570/mo

3 Likes

Thank you for breaking this down for me. I am a bit lost on what to do next and how to counter. Any suggestions?

Take a step back from talking to the dealer until you work out what your target price, less the equity, should actually be. Then persue that and have them cut you a check for the equity instead of rolling it in.

One should never talk to a dealer about pricing until you know what the answer should be.

2 Likes

Thank you! What target price should be, minus equity? Could you explain? Sorry, I have read so many guides but still not understanding

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!! While you’re at it, be sure to watch the LH video (How to Use Leasehackr - YouTube) to brush up on how to most efficiently use the resources here.
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from the LH Calculator - Lease Program Query or Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

3 Likes

I would start by putting your CRV into a few online car buying websites and seeing what kind of value they are offering for the vehicle. This will allow you to understand if the dealer’s trade-in is fair. Then you can go into the other recommended steps.

A $1354 discount from MSRP looks pretty good for a Pilot, the deal could be OK we just don’t have enough information.

2 Likes

Thank you. They are matching the offer from carvana (27k)

Be sure to get a lot more offers than just that. Get yourself at least a half dozen data points

Treat the trade in, dealer discount, and any incentives from Honda as 3 separate transactions. Seems simple but from my own experience in the past it can get confusing, IF you allow it to.

The incentives from Honda are what they are. Don’t let the dealer act as if they are saving you any money with the incentives, those come directly from Honda.

Aim for an aggressive discount off MSRP separate from any incentives.

Lastly negotiate your trade in leveraging offers from Carvana and Carmax, etc.

DO NOT put any of your trade in $ down on a lease. Purchasing the vehicle is a different story. You do not own the lease, the bank does. Do not put any more of your personal money at risk than necessary. The equity in your old car is your money.

2 Likes

Aggresive discount from dealer? For a Honda? Maybe an in stock unit? Lets be reasonable. Its not 2019 anymore.

I would cross shop it. You can maybe do better with a Grand Cherooke L if you order? Again, just an option to look at other options. Good luck.

3 Likes

Aggressive is aggressive. It may mean something different in 2022 than it did in 2019, but it’s all relative. Pilots can be had for under MSRP. How aggressive the discount is up to the original poster and how much work they want to do.

1 Like

Put the equity down on a Highlander or Telluride financed at MSRP.

2 Likes

Can someone explain the trade allowance and trade difference?

The trade allowance is how much theyre paying for the trade.

The trade difference is the delta between the new car price and the trade value for calculating the sales tax basis, which may or may not apply to a lease in your state.

2 Likes

Why not order a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid-should be in the same/similar $/monthly ballpark
@Clutch

No desire for a minivan, plus need 12k per year for miles

1 Like