2022 LR Discovery broken down on way home from dealer - recourse?

I know folks have given solutions, but I’m still shocked that in 2022 this happens with a new car.

3 Likes

They are mechanical and electronic: the break-down for all kinds of reasons.

Some - more than others.

2 Likes

EV’s have a lot less moving parts and there are no explosions(!) happening in them so theoretically they should breakdown far less than ICE cars.

Do you have a lot of items you have purchased suffer complete breakdowns within an hour of owning it? I’d say that’s just bad engineering…

1 Like

A good chunk of 4xes are having the same issues with CELs coming on shortly after taking ownership and remaining in the shop for a while. I agree w @jeisensc

3 Likes

Welcome to the Land Rover ownership experience. Above and Beyond.

Joke aside, let us know how the dealer sorts you out.

As @ethanrs said, JLR doesn’t ever object to lemon claims, they are just bureaucratically incompetent and it takes a long time.

5 Likes

the lemon process of JLR is painfully long. You need the manager of the selling dealer to go to bat for you.

Don’t go screaming at your selling dealer as it won’t help your case.

2 Likes

Electrical components are actually much more likely to either fail immediately or last a very long time than they are to periodically fail. Failure distributions follow a bathtub shaped curve.

3 Likes

Or you let your attorney handle it, as everyone should when pursuing a lemon claim.

1 Like

I am a sucker for punishment as I picked JLR product to begin with. I went through the whole lemon process after my wonderful Disco V ZF 8-speed transmission decides to pee on my garage floor after 600 miles from new.

After driving a loaner car for more than a month. The GM of the dealership got involved and JLR replaced my car. They made it up with a higher MSRP car and service pack as a “mea culpa”

Given the parts shortage. If your vehicle is sitting at the dealership for more than 30 days. You are eligible for lemon. I am not familiar with the JLR LA store since it is under new management so everyone there is new. Good luck and give your selling dealer chance to resolve and law is on your side.

1 Like

True…But one can’t help but wonder why certain brands (ahem…British ones???) seem to operate on the left-hand side of that curve, while Toyota Camry’s, etc. engineering team seems to create scenarios that tend towards the right side of the curve, LOL.

See the bathtub reference by @mllcb42 :crazy_face:

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that certain products and systems are designed in a far superior manner to others, even if many of them are using the same vendors for components.

Could be a case of more early acceptance tests that catch the the early failures before going into completes products. Could be higher quality manufacturing that has lower rates of failure. Could be using older, lower risk technology, etc.

And to the end-user, one approach gives one result, and another another result, LOL

There’s a business answer for this. Toyota and Lexus products are based on older technology and they are very conservative (except with the exterior design styling). When it came to infotainment/technology/mechanical equipment, they’ve been using proven, age-old designs.

There’s nothing wrong with this approach, it’s a good way to ensure people continue believing you only make reliable cars (except for the stuck accelerators on your hybrids), but the downside is you will always be “midtier” because you are not blazing any technological paths.

Still, though. Plenty of folks out there looking for long-term reliable cars if they’re spending 50k/60k.

I understand your point, but I’m not sure if I buy that 100% :slight_smile:

Using Toyota as the example, there were a lot of features on the Tacoma I had that would be considered “leading edge” that worked just as well or better than those same features on my BMW and they were also standard and not optional.

I think there are just always going to be certain brands that have terrible reliability relative to their peers but people put up with it for the aesthetics or the perceived exclusivity. Guilty as charged😊

Listen, all I know is; the LR Defender is absolutely
Packed to the gills with all new off-roading technology and I would be scared poop-less to own one, even under a warranty.

2 Likes

Hey, let’s be honest… the most cutting edge technology on a tacoma is wheels that are round.

7 Likes

Toyota was rolling out ACC, etc as standard on $200/mo cars while BMW et al were charging $500 for wireless cellphone charging😜

2 Likes

Same here…Unless the deal was just so incredible it was worth the ruling of the dice🤪. In seriousness though, there’s a reason we see threads titled as this one and very rarely will the same thread be started for a number of other different makes. It’s pretty much the same ones that come up over and over, but fortunately those offerings are compelling enough that people put up with the crap😎

The current jeep craze is a perfect example. Their reputation on these hybrids is already subpar, their financial and logistical operations are borderline disasters, but I am willing to put up with all that because the overall package and effective cost ends up being worth it in my mind.

2 Likes