2021 Porsche Macan Lease

And they aren’t making a killing. The dealership I was at the other night usually has 300 new cars on their lot, last night they had 5. So sure, maybe on those 5 cars they are making more than they normally would, but I’m sure they would rather be making a little bit on 300 cars, than a little more on 5 cars.

3 Likes

See above on market conditions.

What makes you think they haven’t sold the cars that would be otherwise sitting on the lot?

Porsche shipped 36% more cars Q1 2021 vs.Q1 2020 worldwide and +45% US. I’m not sure why you think dealers are selling less these days, who is selling these cars? And it’s not like 2020 was a bad year (even with COVID), it was 3% off their all-time record.

“In 2020 Porsche achieves robust level of deliveries in 2020 Porsche delivered a total of 272,162 new vehicles worldwide last year, just three per cent below the record set in 2019.”

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021/company/porsche-increases-deliveries-quarter-1-2021-24186.html

It’s kindof fake news that Porsche production is down and that’s why prices are up. Production is up, demand is up even more.

“The demand in the first quarter confirms the sports car manufacturer’s optimistic outlook for 2021 as a whole. “Order bookings also continue to develop very well. We will fulfil the dreams of many more customers with our sports cars in the coming months,” says Detlev von Platen.”

Different story for some low cost cars where the spot price for certain parts is so high right now that it eliminates the manufacture profitability so they’d rather not build and have reduced production. Or small batch production that has no locked-in supply at all (VW group is not one of those).

Why are we looking at Q1 numbers when discussing a Q2 supply shortage?

3 Likes

Isn’t that a production figures press release which would again still have no bearings at all on current issues.

Might be wrong I heavily skimmed.

It looks like its comparing deliveries from q1 2020 to q1 2021, which would have next to no bearing on q2 2021 supply in a JIT manufacturing environment when the supply chain gets pulled out from under you.

1 Like

It takes 2-3 months from Germany to the US. So anything sold in Q2 was produced in Q1 (or earlier). Also I’ll bet you that Q2 production is normal when they announced results in May since they say 2021 deliveries will be “Significantly up on previous year” :slight_smile:

For Porsche it’s more like the TP issue , stores didn’t run out because production stopped but because people bought more. There are certain makes that reduced production but Porsche is not one of them.

I work for a Porsche dealer, so this is coming right from the source. Production was cut about 10% and a lot of models had limits on what can be ordered. There are thousands of incomplete cars sitting at the port waiting for parts.

I have over 30 Macans sitting waiting to finish production and 1 new one in stock. We are down to less than a weeks supply of news cars since Porsche is not shipping cars to dealers.

Yes, there is demand. There has been a higher than usual demand for Porsches since summer of last year. But the shortage is because of production issues as well.

2 Likes

From NYTimes:

“Porsche warned dealers in the United States this month that customers might have to wait an extra 12 weeks to get their cars, because they lack a chip used to monitor tire pressure.”

3 Likes

This is the important detail in every shortage story: not all chips are potato chips, they aren’t interchangeable. It doesn’t matter if you have 105% of needed ECUs to build a car if you don’t have TPMS sensor controllers.

Yes: if I use the very same Infotainment head unit in every model, I can reallocate from Base Macans to a loaded Cayenne if needed, but if you explode a BOM on two similar cars (think Chilton’s diagram), you’ll be surprised how many similar parts are not actually the same part. And when it’s an embedded chip (part of a sub-assembly), oof.

We aren’t swapping bbq for salt-and-vinegar here

3 Likes

The alternative is to just ship parts without TPMS systems and say “well, we determined that people don’t actually use the TPMS system ever”

2 Likes

@Jojee To kinda answer your question. The Atlanta market is brutal since there are 2 huge dealers and not much else around. Right now, you are better off financing a new or CPO Macan. If you want to lease, I would expect a payment north of $1,000 per month on Macan with average equipment.

1 Like

Exactly. Which are the judgement calls making the news: Tesla omitting lumbar controls, Chevy (was it?) omitting the ecu that saves fuel in larger trucks and passing a rebate to customers.

Safety systems like TPMS: only Tesla is shipping cars with reductions in those, so far, that we know of.

Something similar could be happening with other part shortages and will be replaced free of charge later, and I will leave it at that.

I have no qualms with “we’re short on this part, so we’ll deliver without and then replace it when we have them”, particularly when disclosed up front.

I’m not a fan of “we’re short on this part so we’ll deliver without and rather than own up to it, we’ll say it’s because no one actually uses it and we’ve determined that by monitoring every single time you press a button… surprise!”

4 Likes

This is the build sheet. Interest rate is 5%

Yeah

What would be a decent payment on this car on a 36 month lease. And this carnie for my wife and she won’t have anything else other then a Macan.

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

3 Likes

And they are not lowering the msrp simply because there is such a shortage. I’m so I am looking at about $800 a month on this lease, at least that’s what they are quoting me.

Can they at least crack a couple of your ribs, so you can tell your friends “you should see how the other guy looks”.

If you are at the dealership (as I suspect), leave. Now.

Hire a broker, pay what it costs, get exactly what you want.

4 Likes

I listened to 129 Cars - This American Life again on my walk the other day. A good reminder to how the business works :slight_smile:

3 Likes