2021 M340i exhaust different from 2020?

I was on BimmerPost and saw a thread where the MY21 m340i exhausts have little to no pops and bangs as compared to MY20. Has anyone else experienced this with their car?

Did they happen to mention any other models that were similarly improved?

I want to want a Z4 M40i, but it sounds like it was designed to appeal to a 12-year-old boy.

no all talks were that the m440i sounds like the 2020 m340i so they can sell more :rofl:

Middle school kids need dreams too… :clown_face:

2021 BMW M340i vs 2020 M340i Exhaust

Why would BMW make the 2021 M340 sounds so weak compared to the 2020 version, makes no sense and honestly is a ripoff for anyone who ordered a 2021 model. :sleepy:

A lot of European manufacturers have been doing this for the 2021 model years to meet new environmental noise regulations. The CLA45 AMG is the same way. It sounds nothing like the previous model. Rather than make a different exhaust for American cars, they just made them all to European specs. I think they are making a mistake by not changing it for this market.

It’s a mistake to enthusiasts, but I wonder if the volume buyers care. Likely not, if they are proceeding in this manner. Literal vacuum cleaners here are louder than EU exhausts…

I have a 21, it’s still throaty when accelerating, but no cracks when shifting, some burbles when downshifting.

1 Like

My bet is that the new 2021 exhaust is not broken in yet. It takes 500-1000 miles for the true exhaust note and tone to become apparent.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that EU regulations on loud exhausts which hit in 2019 or so were likely the culprit, but perhaps that, coupled with new electrification elements, are killing the noise even more.

2 Likes