2021 BMW 330e New - $50k MSRP - $480/mo Fist Month DAS - Owner's Choice TX

Interesting… Where did you hear people saying the previous generation was better? The G20 is an improvement over the F30 in every aspect. Better chassis, new iDrive version, improved interior, etc. Similar drivetrain but still improved upon. Android Auto alone could be a selling point (only available on iDrive 7 and future versions). The only negatives are being bigger and more expensive. I haven’t heard of anyone who’s owned a G20 saying the F30 was better, at least.

By the way, I recommend looking into Bimmercode if you’re interested in things like disabling the fake engine sounds or enabling Sport Plus mode. I should also plug https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums in case you haven’t already joined.

1 Like

@Kroos8

Totally agree. Coming from two F30’s (330xi and 328xd) the G20 is a big improvement in every way.

This “Owners Choice” is only available in TX I believe? It acts like a lease if you don’t want to keep the car and can return it?

2 Likes

I totally agree, I was just referring to the circle jerks among car journalists and some enthusiasts with bit sarcasm lol. When G20 premiered, there were articles like the 3 series is now larger than a 5 couple generations prior, car is heavy and feels numb … I get where they try.

Been lurking forever on bimmer post, maybe time for an account lol

1 Like

AFAIK it only exists in TX, I think I read it was available in IL before but don’t quote on me. I believe the intention was to avoid double taxing on buying the car out. But lately it’s been a good tool to lease plug-in bimmers.

So yes it’s basically a lease. You can return the car or buy out at the end of 2 or 3 years. The final balloon payment is set to be the same as a lease residual. Incentives are the same for the most part but I was recently educated that sometimes OC may have better incentives. The rent charge is calculated based on APR, as you can see OC’s APR is higher than the equivalent MF, and due to the math behind, in general interest will be higher for OC, apple to apple.

1 Like

How do you find out OC’s incentives and APR?

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/bmw-leasing-wiki/
Incentives are 99% time the same.

I used to be able to get that off Edmunds but now they seem to lose the access, never hurt to try again.
Or you can ask a dealer… I don’t know who will offer buy rate but I sure know a dealer that will mark up everything max so there you go

Thanks! yeah, if we ask dealer about APR, they will certainly tell you the marked up rate. Perhaps we can “pretend” that the OC’ APR = lease APR, and let them tell us we are wrong, and it is actually XXX:)))

That sounds about right, it was developed for states that tax the sales price. IL and GA used to do that and OC was an option in those states too IIRC.

are you suggesting IL and GA have stopped OC?

Oh yeah GA too but they recently amend the law so they are one of the “normal” states now lol

IDK for sure but those states changing their tax laws to no longer tax the sales price on a lease = bmwfs no longer really needs to offer OC there. Maybe they are so far out of the loop that they still do

It’s not just the state tax laws. Here in Chicago, Cook County imposes an additional 8.25% use tax on top of IL 9.5% tax on leased cars, which can be avoided if you are financing or using OC.

2 Likes

Nice deal. One correction. You can’t sell the car when it is Owner’s Choice.

According to…?

Hi, I’m considering to take advantage of OC here in IL as well.
dumb question:
Can the final balloon payment change, or is it an agreed upon value while signing the contract?
Are there any other additional costs while returning the vehicle?

Don’t forget there’s also no acq fee. So that’s $925 saved right off the bat.

really?! That almost makes up for the additional tax you’d have to pay for OC

Multiple dealers and BMW FS. Rules of OC is very different than traditional lease

Thank you for the heads up but I don’t seem to find it on the contract, need to read thru again.
Wonder if you can buy it out early, as my FS account does show my payoff information aad the tax is paid anyways. I assume BMW may prevent third party directly buying out the car but there’s really no obstacles to for me to do it and then sell to any dealers

Yes sir! But no gap coverage so there’s that…