2020 VW Tiguan $188/mo+ tax

What do you all think about this deal in SoCal?
VW Tiguan S 2020 (base)
$188/mo +tax
39 months, 7,500 miles per year
$0 security deposit
$203 + fees and taxes due at signing

(I am trying to get more details from this dealer)

Considering it seems like a dealer advertisement and not a real offer, it can only be taken with a grain of salt.

Have you gotten the MF, residual, incentives, etc from Edmunds?

Agreed, we’ll need more details to evaluate this, including the total amount due at signing.

Dealers are inconsistent when it comes to the drive-off fees. Some roll in the acquisition fee, some do not and require the acquisition fee paid upfront in their ads.

2 Likes

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (Blog | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator, and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

3 Likes

I have more details on this car, now based on 10k miles:

VW Tiguan S 2020 (base)
MSRP: $26,285
Sales price: $19,273
Sales tax and fees: $1,923.99 (which I assume is $1,493.65 for sales tax and the remaining $424 are fees)
$212/mo including tax ($178+$35 tax, 7.75%)
36months, 10k miles per year
$0 security deposit
$643 drive off
MF: 0.00001
Residual: 49% ($12,878)

While the deal looks relatively good with these details, I can’t get the LH calculator to give me the same payment. The calculator gives me $192, By hand I can get to $212.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!

Are you ok with how barebones the S trim is?

Does not compute. CA doesn’t have upfront tax on leases (rebates can be taxable but there’s no way that comes to ~$1,500)

And $178 x 1.0775 =! 212

Thanks Max_G!

Does this screenshot help with respect to the Sales Tax & Fees?

What do you recommend I get more details on?

Yeah, the base S is generally fine. We just need an SUV in our budget.

So are most of the sales tax and fees being put into the payment or are drive-offs in addition to that?

From the deal sheet that I have, I think that the sales tax and fees are being put into the payment except for the cash at singing (So, $1923.99 - $624.98 (Cash at signing) = 1,299.99) which comes out to ~+ $35 on each payment. As I understand. Do you think I am calculating this correctly?

1 Like

I agree one should be sure of the options they want on a car but i found the base Tiggy quite satisfying.

This payment with that drive off and discount looks like a good deal to me.

Great deal. Not saying you can’t get another $20/month off (or that you can). But step back for a moment, it’s a very low payment and DAS for a new tiguan.

You’re not leasing a new car, in CA, with only $424 in fees. $400ish in gov fees, I’d believe, but you still have your dealer doc fee, bank acquisition fee, etc.

How do you think that the “sales tax and fees” of $1923.99 is broken down?

When I sum up the fineprint fees in the footprint I only get that $424. Maybe it is missing some fees like you mention? Acq fee etc.

Sales tax is only on the deprecated amount ($6,395), right? Which is only $495 at 7.75%

No, sales tax at the beginning of a lease in California is only applied on upfront payments (basically cap cost reductions, be it cash or rebates). The bulk of the sales tax on the lease is on the monthly payment amount.

My guess is there are other fees they’re charging here… Dealer add on stuff. Just ask them for a few breakdown.

I agree you need a breakdown of the fees. Have you found out how much of that discount is incentives?

My one suggestion thus far is, with that MF, do a $0 due at signing deal.

Seems pretty clear that most of the ~1900 is folded in, making the financed value ~21k over 36 mos. The worksheet shows TDAS, not down payment that does not include additional drive off. And with ~7k discount on this car, the numbers seem right on.

It’s not a $7k discount if there are $1000 in kuki and phantom footprints hidden in the fees or a bunch of money in incentives.

Perhaps a better way to say that is no one is getting 35% pre-incentive on a new tiguan. It’s always a good plan to understand what’s going into the number, even if it’s just to confirm that it is a good deal.

Yes wrong wording to call all of that 7k a discount. So the breakdown of the money in this deal is what is needed to assess the quality of the deal structure; but the bottom line is if the total due is indeed TDAS, and the monthly including tax is as shown, it’s a good deal as Tiguan leases go today, no matter the breakdown/transparency, isn’t it?

1 Like

Without knowing what incentives are actually being applied here, I don’t know how anyone could make that judgement.

I don’t understand. If i told you $600 TDAS and $500/mo 3/36 on a new $65,000 2021 BMW X5, would you care what the breakdown was?