Monthly Payment: $275
Drive-Off Amount: $0
Months:36
Annual Mileage:10k
MF:.00040
Residual:59%
Incentives:
Region:Chicagoland

Our 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE lease was maturing in Sept ‘20 and my wife wanted to get into a Subaru Forester. Got some preliminary pricing from two different Subaru dealers and narrowed who I wanted to focus on. Had the Sienna appraised at Carmax, and the Toyota Dealership and got quotes from Vroom, Carvana before bringing it to the Subaru dealer that I wanted to deal with. Unfortunately inventory for a white with brown interior touring was horrible as no dealers within 100miles had one on lot at time of negotiations.

The Subaru dealer I went with ended up giving me $1500 more than Carmax and $1000 over both Vroom and Carvana.

MSRP: $36696
Selling Price: $33696 (8.2% off)
Sales Tax: $1074
Acq Fee: $595
Doc Fee: $300
Title/Reg: $326
Gross Cap Cost: $35,665
Cap Cost Reduction: $5,123
Adjusted Cap Cost: $30,542
RV: $21966
Rent Charge: $1323
Total Monthly Payments: $9900
Term: 36months / 10k miles

Left the dealer having only paid $275 as first payment. My wife loves the car so that’s what was most important and it felt like a fair deal - cannot say if it’s hackr worthy but hopefully this data point helps the next person.

1 Like

Where did the $5000 of cap cost reduction come from? The trade?

Yes, I had some positive equity from Sienna lease that they used for cap cost reduction.

Ok. Well enjoy the ride - it’s a done deal now. This is actually a $413/month deal when considering the trade equity.

For future reference, ask the dealer to cut you a check for the trade equity and take the higher payment. If you total the Forester tomorrow, all of that trade equity will be gone.

That’s great advice - I hadn’t considered the implications of totaling the car and the down payment. To me the trade in value was super inflated (benefiting me) so I liked the monthly.

For future reference - would the dealer be willing to write me a check for the same cap cost reduction or does that change the dynamic in anyway?

Nope. Six of one, half a dozen of another. They either give the money to you or it goes towards the car.