2020 Scat Pack Lease

Hey folks,
First post! This website and forums have been a great wealth of information. I went to a dealer today hoping to pull out in a beautiful new scat pack. I had a trade in that has a bluebook trade in between $21k and $23k (according to a few sources) and mine is literally in new condition with 10.5k miles but they were offering $17k for it. Basically ended with the sales manager refusing to even run my credit to give me an offer for a deal. I was willing to put $7500 down and my trade which should positive equity of abiut $1500 and looking to be around $450 but they wouldn’t even entertain me. What do you think, am I u realistic or are they ridiculous?

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2020 charger scat pack
MSRP: $49,045
Monthly Payment: $ about $450
Drive-Off Amount: $7500 + $1500 trade
Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 10k
RV should be 61%
MF should be .00102 according to Edmunds
Elk grove, California

Respectfully I think you’re doing it wrong

• don’t go to the dealership except to sign
  • check with Carvana/Vroom/AlGo and get the most money for your trade
  • Don’t ever put that much down on a lease (personally I am strictly $0 DAS, some people recommend taxes and first payment, but that would be the max)

Have you read through all the Leasing 101 articles?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t read through everything yet, there’s a ton on this site!

I haven’t heard of Vroom or AIGo, I’ll check them out now.

I was increasing the down to reduce the monthly and I’d plan on financing the car at the end. Thats the only reason I’d put money down.

Also never have them run your credit unless the deal is done.

1 Like

Unless there are extensive leasing incentives that make leasing and then immediately buying the car out attractive, usually the idea of leasing to buy doesn’t work out. The payoff amount will usually be much higher at the end of your lease than a comparable used car of the same vintage.

3 Likes

Pause…ok as @jeisensc said do some research and sell your car to the highest bidder as long as there is equity. Second leasing a scatpack is a horrible idea when you can get a used Hellcat or Scatpack for about the same money. Even if you decide to go new use that to reduce the monthly payment on purchase. Personally I buy a 2017,2018 hellcat throw on a mopar extended full warranty and have fun for a few years.

2 Likes

With the remaining 2020 Scat Packs (if you can find one) they have a $4850 purchase incentive and $2250 IDL incentive The best route here is to either finance upfront, or lease with a non-captive, in which case your FCA data from Edmunds is pretty worthless.

1 Like

I guess I’m newer to this stuff than I thought… what is non-captive and an IDL?

A captive lease company is a leasing company operated by a financial affiliate or subsidiary of the vehicle manufacturer. Non-captive lease companies are independent. Most common non-captives for Dodge are US Bank & Ally. IDL is a bonus incentive for leasing with a non-captive.

However, the real point of the message was to find a way to get the $4850 bonus, this is the real difference maker. Especially considering the discount on these cars is tight. This means you are best served by finding something like a credit union to provide to a balloon loan. With some balloon loan programs, you can be around $350/mo with TTL upfront for a Scat Pack right now.

Don’t you dare do a $700+ month lease on that. I think you have been watching a lot of youtube videos and are too emotionally invested in getting this car. I am not condemning you. It’s a nice car. I could also dream of having one. Totally bad ass, but don’t get reamed over this.

1 Like

Thanks for looking out, theres no way I’d do close to $700 lease with any money down. Beautiful car, but not big enough to live in (its a joke… i wouldn’t go bankrupt).

What do you mean by balloon loan program? $350 for a scat pack sounds fantastic.

Be very careful with this route, many hellcats have unlocked pcm’s and most dealers don’t check for tunes unless it’s in for warranty work or they need to check out something internally.

Quite a few have gotten burned, that extended warranty means nothing with an unlocked pcm.

I myself tuned mine, and many others who leased/ bought ended up tuning theirs.

Scat packs are usually the better buy, cheaper, lower insurance, and people at that price point aren’t necessarily into tuning, many who buy the hellcats have money to mod and thus they mod.

2 Likes

Leases for scat packs and hellcat suck right now, buying a used scat pack or hellcat also not a good idea, the used market has skyrocketed their values.

My 2017… 3 years old hellcat had an msrp of $73,725 and a sales price of roughly 65k before taxes and fees. (I leased it)

A dealer bought it from me for 53k and sold it for 57k!!! (That was the online sales price and sold that day, probably sold for 56-57k)

So basically it was a net 8-10k loss after 3 years, these cars should realistically be in the low to mid 40s, not low to mid 50s.

Something is very wrong with the market for these cars now and it’s called inventory shortage + highly desirable car + low interest rate = :fire:

You will be underwater if you buy a used one, and you will overpay if you lease one… scat pack non wb $500/mo, scat pack wb, $600-$650, hellcat wb $800+, and these are the good deals in this market.

3 Likes

To summarize, wait, pick another car, or pay to play.

3 Likes

Not a single person I know that has/had a hellcat worries about being underwater. Leasing for 500 is another story because it made it affordable for the average person… however most the guys I know sold to free up garage space for the wide body. Two of my buddies have already ordered the TReX…a few grand doesn’t mean anything to them. No offense but if your going to tune a leased car, then of course your playing with fire. I never assume what people can/can’t afford because it’s up to them what that threshold is.

So you are giving him advice or hinting to go buy a hellcat when the values are at an all time high, pretending like unlocked pcm’s are not a thing/many of these are beat on, and then conveniently forgetting that your extended mopar warranty means nothing with an unlocked pcm. So many things wrong here.

Thank you for telling me I’m playing with fire, I have been modding cars for about 10 years, I think I know the risks and how far to push the car. I was using my example and many others who I know to show how common unlocked pcm’s are. (tuned) There are many sh*tty tuners out there and it’s very risky dealing with an unlocked pcm if the tuner is not reputable/the history is unknown.

That was not what I was alluding to, what I was saying was that there’s a high likelihood chance that the used hellcat you are looking at is modified, again if you read what I said, people who buy the hc platform usually have the money and desire to mod.

Also many used hellcats are beat to hell, residue from burnouts on the rear quarter panel and inside the wheel wells, hard accelerations on still cold engines, hard revs, not following the break-in period for the supporting components of the car, etc etc.

Mark my words, BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING A USED HC, do your due diligence.

I assume that the op is looking for a scat pack, understands the insurance costs, maintenance costs, etc etc.

Everything on the hellcat is more expensive, insurance, gas(just a little), maintenance, etc etc.

1 Like

What kind of discount is realistic right now for a scat pack? 5-10% pre incentive?

The widebody scat packs are sooo sick

To be honest with CDJR dealers there isn’t a rule of thumb discount to be expected. I would find a few you like and play the game with them. Used is a great option as well, quite long winded thread above just to say buyer beware. Both my buddies turned in there hellcats with under 16k miles on a 36/10 lease. A lot of these cars became weekend joy ride cars. I would say shoot for 10% pre incentives and expect a bit of a fight.

Why did they turn them in so early?