2020 KONA EV? Deal comparison

Hi,

I’d like to hear which deal is better. I’d like to lease a car for the first time ASAP, and I’m fairly new to the process. For an electric vehicle with an MSRP of $39k, one (well-reviewed, trusted) broker is quoting me the following:

1k down
$363 including La tax
36/10k

A car dealership, for the same electric car, has a national incentive with the following numbers:

4k down
$275 including tax
36/10k

What’s the better deal? Are dealerships a bad idea? I’d love to hear anyone’s advice.

Thanks

2 Likes

386/mo for the national dealer offer v. 390/mo + broker fee for the broker deal. It’ll come down to personal choice.

Dealer option
Pro: Little bit cheaper and avoid broker fee
Con: Lose the 4k if you total the car

Broker Option
Pro: Get the car with the option you want, no bait & switch happening; 1k lost if you total the car
Con: Little bit higher + broker fee.

I hope you didn’t make the broker do all the work and use his numbers to obtain the dealer offer.

1 Like

Have you gotten the actual numbers? National offers are rarely what they appear to be advertised as.

2 Likes

The national dealer offer is $230 per month + LA tax, which comes out to $280-300, right? Am I being naive about LA taxes?

Don’t I lose the 4k anyway since it’s a down payment?

Yes you do lose the 4k and the 1k. What I meant: You drive off the lot and total the car at the next light. You just lost 4k v. 1k.

1 Like

I have not gotten the actual numbers from the dealership. I am assuming with my credit and experience, I’ll qualify for the national offer. How much do monthly payments typically deviate? I’m sure they’re conflated.

The broker’s numbers are accurate.

I assumed the numbers were accurate. In this case, you should get the actual numbers from a dealer and than try and compare. The broker can advertise that but as you most likely know, it’s rare that you actually get that number just the way you want. There might be other fees or “add ons” they’ve included in their car that it’s not the advertised car anymore and they’ll give you different numbers.

1 Like

Typically national offers exclude a lot more than just taxes, they also exclude acquisition fees, dealer fees, gov fees, etc. They also very often include incentives that not everyone qualifies for. I have seen national incentives that actually were a couple hundred more than the advertised number.

Ultimately it comes down to right now, you have a broker offer and nothing else. The national offer is irrelevant and non-existent. Until you have a real dealer offer in hand, you have nothing to compare the broker deal to.

2 Likes

National offers are also mostly on low MSRP cars, so that offer may be on a $30k car vs. $39k. Unless I missed that both offers on the same MSRP

I would go to the dealership and ask for 0 due at signing for 386/month after tax. If they agree, sign the deal. If not, go with the broker. I would also ask the broker to roll in the 1k das into the monthly so you dont lose anything if you total your car.

1 Like

So what is this mystery car? :crystal_ball::mage:

2 Likes

Same. How can I possibly keep up with the Joneses if I don’t know which $39k electric vehicle to lease too?

The one where you both pay no upfronts and the lowest pre-incentive discount with buy-rate MF. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Reading an ad is just that…you need to get a written/email list of numbers such as term, mf, residual, due as sigining, taxes dealer/broker fees etc. Once you have the complete picture compare, and then make a decision. The 4K true down payment is something I`d walk away from, Multiple security deposits are more reasonable.

That being said if everything lines up the same, Its a toss up and depends on the value of each providers service.

1 Like

It is a Kona EV, ha

Is this a good deal?

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2020 Kona EV, SEL
MSRP: $39,000
Monthly Payment: $360 including tax
Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 12k
Drive-Off Amount: $2k at signing
360/month
Incentives: $7500 (I think)

Not really i got the kia niro ev premium for less than that

Ah, actually it’s about $356 with tax already included.

What were your numbers on the Kia Niro? I am also interested in that one.

The deal right now in marketplace is 340 otd for premium
299 for regular

Is yours an ultimate?

Is that with $0 down?

It’s changing daily, go to Marketplace and search for Kia