2020 Jetta S - Shoot holes in this guy's offer

So this guy seems really sketchy, for starters. I know these lease poorly already, too. No incentives currently from what I figured out from Edmunds.

2020 Jetta S
MSRP $21399
Discount $2885
Rebate $500 (grad)
Adjusted Price $18014
Doc fee $799
Tax $817.77 (VA)
Non Tax Fees $806.49 (He’s saying these are an acquisition fee and 2 years of tags)
Total: $20437

MF should be .00034 and he’s running it at .00084. Of course this is sketchy. His $2000 down number is $219 at 39 months with us paying downpayment plus fees out of pocket. This number seems higher than I would think.

I might be using the calculator wrong since I’ve never completely figured out how people get their numbers; I am kind of forced to lump tags and acquisition since I don’t know the numbers. I also only want to walk out paying $2000, not $4000.

I flew in to VA for a day to buy a car for my son in the middle of a pandemic. I’d rather not walk away empty-handed so what am I doing wrong here?

-N.

There’s nothing sketchy about a dealer marking up the mf. Lying about it when asked would be sketchy.

What you’re doing wrong here is having flown in to buy a car before doing your research and working the deal out ahead of time.

7 Likes

Well if your desperation/urgency is obvious in person nobody is going to give you a good deal.

Any reason your son can’t negotiate himself between now and whenever?

3 Likes

There are several brokers on this site that can get you a sweet deal on comparable vehicles. I’d suggest reaching out to them and going from there.

Like mllcb42 said, you’ve made a huge mistake by flying down before making a deal. If the dealer knows you flew down specially to cut this deal, they have significant leverage over you.

2 Likes

My son can definitely negotiate moving forward and I’m not desperate but it would’ve been nice to get it over and done with.

This is my goal (from my research…that I thought I’d done):

I thought I had something done with another dealer but they don’t seem to be responding now.

-N.

Here is a much closer calculator to your initial offer:

Note that the DAS amount is a little higher, but so are the taxes, so that should sort itself out.

Do you have reason to believe that 17% pre-incentive at buy rate is a reasonable target?

College grad would be a taxable rebate, not post sale.

VA is notorious for high dealer fees, how did you find $100?

Question- is your home state VA?
VA is literally the worst state to lease a car in.
Why not domicile the lease in your home state? That could save a lot of money

Dealer fee on the quote is $799

The numbers came from Truecar and from where I was close to with the previous dealer. I have NO idea what the acquisition fee is that’s one I haven’t been able to get. I’ve been asking for actual lease sheets and I nobody will email a lease sheet–is this typical of VW?

Yeah and then there was this second fee I cannot explain… $806.xx? Tags and a fee of some sort. I’m trying to figure that out.

$675 acquisition fee + 131.49 in tags

Is it reasonable to lease in MD or DC and bring back to VA or would this still be an issue? Home state is AZ.

You pay taxes for where the vehicle is registered. You’d need to register in Az

Yeah definitely register the car in AZ, just show them ur AZ drivers lic or proof of address
Your driveoff gets cut in half

Yeah he’s in the process of moving to VA though so this might end up being a legal issue.

Idk not something he has to deal with till the lease is up

Esp. if you’re cosigning the lease

People lease from neighboring states all the time. It’s not an issue when the dealer knows how to get your tags/plates. No MD or DC dealer should have a problem knowing how to get VA plates.

The converse is an issue. They might not know how to get AZ plates.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but typically MD has very strong deals. At least for BMWs.

Also OP- why have a 2k drive off? roll everything in. That way if the car gets wrecked you don’t lose your drive off

Why do you want a Jetta S anyway?

2 Likes