2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV - Maryland

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited - Intense Blue
MSRP: $39,570
Purchase Price: $36,075
Monthly Payment: $277
Drive-Off Amount: 1st pmt, DMV, Dealer Fee + Taxes ($277 + $279 + $500 + $1,115 = $2,171)
Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 10k
MF: 0.00201
Residual: 46%
Incentives: $11,000 Lease Cash, $400 College Grad, $250 BonusDrive to receive later
Region: Mid-Atlantic
Leasehackr Score: 10.9 years
Leasehackr Calculator Link: Link

Well, leasing in Maryland is never fun, given sales tax on FULL sales price of lease, but I think I did ok here. The 39-month MF is awful, but the extra $1,750 in lease cash more than offsets it, and I think the lower RV may help the lease equity equation near lease-end time.

I ended up rolling all inceptions, fees, and MD sales tax into the monthly payment (totaling $329), so my drive off was only 1st payment. To get the LH calculator to adjust taxes correctly for the trade-in, I had to divide the $241 negative equity of my trade between a negative down payment and a untaxed incentive.

It was weird that they processed my lease return as a trade-in rather than as a 1-month early lease turn-in, because it had NO lease equity at all. No matter, I got to skip the last $351 payment on my Sonata, paid no lease turn-in fees or damage fees, and gained $1,079 worth of sales tax savings, all for a -$241 negative equity cost. Given the $3,495 discount off MSRP, (-8.8%), I think I hacked a solid lease offer. Based on @sirk98’s thread, there was possibly $5-600 more to squeeze, but as it was, no other regional dealer would touch this offer.

If I lived in NJ, everything would be a whole different story! (But then I’d have to live in NJ! :scream::grin:)

1 Like

Lol :slight_smile:

Enjoy the ride! I think I just had the right dealer at the right time. Never seen anyone go as deep as they did for me. Your deal looks solid!

Hey! NJ is a nice place to live. Our property taxes, however, are insane.

You got a great deal, definitely a money-loser for the dealer. We’re doing this deal in NJ at $289/mo with $1000 DAS before the no-tax and $4250 rebate. You’ve got my lowest price beat by a few hundred.

Of course if you lived in the great state of NJ your deal would be $5365 less, but I imagine one year of property taxes would more than make up for the difference. Enjoy the car and welcome to the EV lifestyle!

1 Like

Yeah, thanks! Honestly, parts of NJ are pretty beautiful, you don’t audition the state properly with just what is visible from the NJ Turnpike.

Wild how all-in NJ is going with the EV / Solar build-out. I took my son college visiting up there, only to find a solar panel on EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKING. telephone pole. Guess that has to get funded somehow!

The car is REALLY nice for the price. Of course, I’d probably love a Tesla Model Y, but I like paying less than half as much for quite a bit more than half the value. The Hyundai Ioniq EV gee-whiz features are pretty amazing, and most are rather well-thought out. (My personal favorite is the “idiot” warning when you’re sitting at a traffic light, not moving, then the car in front of your moves forward after the green light, leaving you obliviously sitting there like a chump.)

With gas as cheap as it is, I’m not gaining the full value of 133MPGe; my electricity cost equivalent to a gallon of gas is more like 72 miles’ worth of gas with this car, but it’s still nice to have a simplified design. The 2017 Sonata Hybrid PHEV I turned in did not transition well between gas/EV mode in the rain; it constantly stuttered while hunting for traction when accelerating from a stop. Even worse on ice. And its trunk space was laughable.

The only notable downside for a car enthusiast is the lack of potent top-end power at highway speeds; all the zip is concentrated to make most of the grins appear at lower speeds. I’d heartily recommend it for any two-car household that already has a “road-trip” car, as 170-190 miles of range is quite sufficient for 95% of our daily needs.

1 Like

Will you get the MD state subsidy on this car?

No, it hasn’t been funded in over a year, (although they still took applications), but the application window closed with MD’s fiscal year-end as of 6/30/2020. No applications will be taken, as the program is no longer available.

I’m a Maryland resident, too. Could you tell me where you got this deal? I’m interested in leasing an Ioniq EV as well. TIA.

Check your PM

Can you send me as well ?