2019 Volvo XC60 T6 INSC lease?

This is my first lease, not yet signed but getting close. It’s a T6 Insc with Advanced and Heated rear seats.
How did I do with this? Getting close on negotiations but I’ve seen a few people with 17% off on the XC60…and I’m just at ~14.5% off, so wondering if there’s more room.

Note that dealer’s numbers are about $4/month more in all instances, not sure why as I have all the same details. This is also in MD where sales tax of 6% is on the full price.

MSRP: $57840
Selling Price: $49540 (14.3% off) - includes $3,250 of Volvo dealer incentives
Monthly Payment: $509
Cash Due at Signing: $4131 (for taxes/tags/fees) I will most likely roll in
MSD: $5,750

Months:36
Annual Mileage:12000
MF:0.00075
Residual:57%

Region:Maryland
Leasehackr Score: 8.4

leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volvo&miles=12000&msd=10&msrp=57840&sales_price=49540&months=36&mf=.00075&dp=0&dealer_fee=299&acq_fee=995&taxed_inc=0&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=0&resP=57&reg_fee=351&sales_tax=6&demo_mileage=0&memo=&salesPriceTax_radio=true

Seems decent looking at similar deals between 60/90 for myself.

@Ursus is the expert on Volvo’s perhaps he can give insight.

What dealer is that?

How many MSDs is that? It doesn’t make sense. Volvo rounds up to the next $50 of payment, i.e. $509 becomes $550, and 10 MSDs is $5,500, not $5,750.

The pre-MSD price is $551 hence it appears to be rounding to $5750.

Hmm, it would round to $600 in that case. I would check on that. Volvo is definitely one that rounds to the nearest $50 – rounds up. Even if the dealership takes $50 off the car or you do a cap cost reduction if they’re unwilling to budge, you should save some money on MSDs to bring the pre-MSD payment under $550.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trophy Garage [ Photos ]

Agreed that @ursus is the go-to Volvo trusted hackr. What do you think?

Thanks for the insight…makes my deal look good. I also figured out that the LH calculator is slightly off. I downloaded this spreadsheet from carbuyingtips and it gets me to the exact dealer numbers. Not sure how to report this perhaps its user error perhaps a bug in the LH calculator. No idea. This is the revised numbers. leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volvo&miles=12000&msd=10&msrp=57840&sales_price=49393&months=36&mf=.00075&dp=0&dealer_fee=299&acq_fee=995&taxed_inc=0&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=0&resP=57&reg_fee=369&sales_tax=6&demo_mileage=0&memo=&zero_driveoff=true&salesPriceTax_radio=true

With no money down, the monthly I have is $606 including all taxes.Perhaps its the first month payment due at signing that’s creating the diff. Anyway at this point it seems like I have a good deal. No budging from this number.

Just trying to figure if I want to do MSD…ugh decisions decisions.

Don’t discount @AP919. She knows her Volvo #s too. As a bonus, she can do your taxes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I’ll include her as well in future Volvo deal evaluation threads. :wink:

1 Like

You save quite a bit of money on a monthly basis, and you get the MSDs back at the end (not to state the obvious). The real question is whether you’d need the capital for other reasons, including whether you’d get a better rate of return elsewhere. YMMV. (But this, it seems, is a good problem to have!)

1 Like

I’m not technically a tax preparer and definitely won’t do someone’s taxes when they’re complicated. But again, I’m not rendering any tax or legal advice here. I’m not about to jeopardize my license! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just being a smartass :grin:

1 Like

You never know who’s watching! I am in debt good money for all those letters after my name! :wink:

1 Like

I’ll qualify that by saying you can save a decent chunk with more MSDs. 3 of them, for instance, only saves $10-$15 a month. Max might save you $50, but it also depends on the lease, the MF, the color of socks the finance guy is wearing (kidding).

@Electrifi38 is right though, that you may need the capital for other things, which is why I haven’t put any down. Getting a better rate of return is arguable, but some people do well in the market!

1 Like

Okay, so to get the calculator “accurate,” uncheck the zero drive-off box, and add everything that is rolled in - doc fees, etc. (acq will be included when you don’t check that box) - and put the first month’s payment in the down payment box. It might then say you owe $25 in taxes or something at signing, so ignore that.

I prefer to do leases with no more than $1,000 DAS, but when you roll more things in and you’re doing MSDs, the MSD amount becomes higher.

Here’s a way to think about things. If you don’t do MSDs, and you roll in all your costs, say you do a pull-ahead with 6 months left on your lease. You are not paying 1/6 of the cost of whatever is rolled in, and you come out ahead anyway.

Case-in-point: I just pulled ahead 4 payments on my 2017 S60. I had rolled in NY tax, which was about $35/mo. I saved $140 of the tax due, more than 10% of what I rolled in.

I did buy the wheel and tire package separately on my car (at cost, though) because the roads in NY and NJ are getting worse and worse, I hit a massive pothole last year, and the garage at work did a number on my old wheels (luckily not charged, was worried). With the 19" wheels I’d be insane to not do it. Rolling it in would have raised my payment by $22/month, and then if I pulled ahead, I would be saving a chunk of that, let’s say $90 if I go 4 months early again. I just didn’t want to increase my payment any more, and I paid with a credit card where I got 3% back, so I got the equivalent of $44 cash back anyway. If I transfer to JetBlue, I know that the 4,300 points translates to a free flight ($65 flight is 3,800), so it was a no-brainer to not roll that in. (If you’re doing the math, yes that’s about $1,400 charged - my DAS for the car was $675, plus the cost of the wheel and tire package, plus tax.)

Sorry for the long explanation, but I feel examples are helpful.

Thanks for showing your long-hand math. I don’t mind paying the “fees” upfront on top of the MSDs. I usually put them on a credit card that earns points or cash back or both immediately.

My further thought process is that I do not prefer to pay interest on those fees (which is what happens when you roll them in). Sometimes the MF is so low that the interest is nominal, so it depends on the captive/leasing bank’s MF.

I believe that the tax savings of $140 would apply whether you rolled in the fees/taxes or not, because tax is based on the rental cost and is paid by the leasing bank at signing. See the bottom of page 7 (for NJ’s approach): https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation/documents/pdf/guides/New-Jersey-Consumer-Automotive-Tax-Guide.pdf

With all of that said – If you’re nearby, can you do my taxes? lol

I CAN PROBABLY HELP YOU BEAT THESE NUMBERS :muscle:t4:… PM ME

I’m a CPA in practice mostly doing taxes, so funny coincidence.

Thank you! Didn’t realize I could put a negative # in the cap cost reduction section. This appears to work and get close to dealer’s numbers. leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volvo&miles=12000&msd=0&msrp=58640&sales_price=49844&months=36&mf=.00075&dp=0&dealer_fee=0&acq_fee=995&taxed_inc=-3659&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=0&resP=57&reg_fee=0&sales_tax=0&demo_mileage=0&memo=&salesPriceTax_radio=true

Not sure if that’s as good as I thought now, with or without MSD it’s under 8 LH score. :thinking: