2019 Jetta auto 1.4 s (first time trying to hack!)

Hello all,
Never done this before and trying to get my gf a deal on a Jetta s auto In so cal.
Plenty of specials here on these for low monthly but with a bunch of down payment, not trying to do that. Willing for just basic drive offs and fees like acq. And tax and title fees.

A dealer near me is selling a 2019 Jetta 1.4 s for 17,999 (20,925 MSRP)

Using edmunds I found that the MF is .00049 with a .57 residual for 10/36 terms.

There is a 500 rebate my gf qualifies for for recent college grad, and I’m pretty sure the acquisition fee for vw here is 625.

I’m trying to hack the lease here and based on my calculations I’m getting around 201 a month with tax. I’m not sure if I’m missing something in my calculations, anyone care to help?

Also, once I am more concrete on the numbers, how should we go about presenting this to a dealership?

Thank you!

You should check if the selling price includes any “sell only” rebates or promotions. Sometimes they won’t extend that promo price to you for a lease but either way you should be able to negotiate ~10%+ on Jetta. The $18k seems to represent a 14% discount which is good for a new ‘19

So you’re saying the sell only rebate might not be given on the sale price of 18k, but only on the full price? Sorry a little confused

I’m saying if they are promoting a $18k sell price for a $21k MSRP, there could be a chance it may not be for lease but only if you buy the car.

You should check in with them

Ahhh gotcha. So the 21k MSRP would need to be negotiated specifically for the lease on its own? Seems like they might be less willing to budge from that price on a lease, is that usual for leasing vs buying?

If you qualify for the vw partner program you’ll save another $500

no that’s not true, they want to move a unit regardless if lease or buy, it’s just a matter of which rebates can be applied to which method (lease vs buy). What @Parth_Bharwad is saying, is that certain rebates are only available to purchase deals and not to lease deals (or vice versa). You will have to check with dealer.

So first step is to find the rebates available for lease, then negotiate the price of the car? Or vice versa?

You should know what rebates you qualify for so you come prepared. When you negotiate price you can negotiate dealer discount before incentives and then have them apply incentives

Possible to find out incentives/rebates without going in the dealership? I know we can qualify for the college grad offer, not sure of anything else

yes, find the edmunds.com forum for your particular vehicle, you can ask for MF, RV and incentives there.

Ok thank you! I was able to see Rv MF and a 250 cash bonus for our area. So combine this with the 500 college grad and get 750. Negotiate the price of the car? In my past experience dealers don’t like to do that, instead just ask what you want for a monthly payment

Then find a new dealer. There’s plenty of VW dealerships in SoCal. I had a good interactions w/ DTLA and Santa Monica when I bought my current car (~1 mo ago).

And, yes, you absolutely negotiate the price just like you would on a purchase (taking into account the rebates/incentives may differ btw financing vs. leasing) since the lease payment is based on depreciation. The RV is based on the MSRP, not on what you actually negotiated as the cap cost, as the lower you can get the cap cost, the less you will pay for the lease.