2019 Golf R Lease Review - NJ

Yeah, that’s totally an option I’ve considered. But again, in NJ, there’s a tax benefit with trading in, even on a lease. With the higher insurance for 2 cars, adv. cost, and time involved selling the car privately, I don’t see the benefit for a few hundred dollars.

I didn’t pursue the S3 too far. I realized I wanted a manual and a hatch, other than that, they’re essentially the same car. So I figured it wasn’t worth an additional cost for basically the same options.

Before getting caught up on the R just cross shop other cars. Your really passing up other vehicles you could be in with the money your basically willing to spend.

I know enthusiasts (such as myself) need certain trims, certain packages and its hard to get 1%. I know because im paying unfortunately for it. Someone doing the math said 703 a month ultimately for a golf R is not worth it.
Being that your in NJ your most likely want a performance vehicle with AWD. There is definitely something for you out there. Don’t disregard RWD because of snow. My 335i with All seasons was 10x better then my EVO that came stock with summers. Tires play a big part as well as clearance but this year it snowed (bad) twice…

just something to think about.

You may want to direct your comments to OP. I’m not looking for an R.

whoops, the sti comment i was going to go with as well for a bit more stiffer suspension but figured the person is just set with R in mind forgot to untag/quote

It’s all good. STi is a better driver’s car. However, if it’s daily driving and comfort that OP needs, the R is the best of both.

I would say for daily drive and comfort it’s Golf R/Civic Type R and for driving dynamics it’s Focus RS/STi.

Yeah, I don’t intend on paying $700 for the Golf. I found that one lease deal outrageous. But, being new to leases, I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. Given my trade-in, I expect to be between $350-$450/month for a 36mos/15k lease. I’m comfortable with this. I just want to make sure I understand the fees involved, the taxes involved and how they’re applied, and that the math is right.

Owned a 16 R, I would say buy, although I would buy a slightly used 18, as the warranty is super long and your getting a fair amount off MSRP. Don’t think they lease well. Good luck and yes need more off MSRP if buying new/leasing.

Your effective payment is ~$675 just so you’re comfortable with it.

1 Like

Thanks, I understand that. I keep my car expenses (payment, gas, insurance, maintenance) under 10% of my gross income.

You’ve obviously run the numbers which is great! but to me, I can’t understand the logic of spending $25k+ to lease a $40k car. The risk of losing that entire $8k if some ‘lovely’ NJ driver rear-ended me at a stop light would literally keep me up at night. But that’s just because I’m a huge cheap ass I guess.

2 Likes

You realize you can just lease an Audi S4 for around that?

1 Like

It’s your money but for that kind of money you can get yourself into a M3…as much as I love the Golf R it ain’t comparing to an M car…

1 Like

Well it’s more like a 52k car if you factor in interest, taxes, wear and tear and such. But yeah, I’ve considered just putting the trade in an account that the lease can draw down on to protect it from that scenario. I’m still running the numbers every day. Theoretically the car will have some value at the end of 6 years, approx. $12,000 to trade, which would make my effective monthly rate at $587/m compared to $675/m for the lease. But at the same time you’re still banking on a perfect scenario where nothing goes wrong all the while having a higher monthly payment. It’s something I’m still considering though.

I like the S4, but I’m looking for a hatch/manual option.

You mean put $8,000 trade and have a 675/m lease for an M3? I’m really in the market for a hot hatch. But if you can explain the M3, I’m all ears. I did look at a M235 and thought that was a pretty good deal, just thought it was kind of a boring car. But that’s my opinion, I know others would disagree.

I’m not sure what the numbers are on an M3 but if you’ve been paying attention to the forums people are getting into 740i M sports for $650 with tax…you also have $8k in equity you’re putting down.

Why don’t you reach out to one of the brokers here who could prob help you ? Might be worth your time and money

I know lease number change, even month to month, but in 2017 I was looking at a Golf R manual, 36/12k and getting numbers a little under $500 mo, tax in, inceptions at signing. I went with a GTI for $300 mo, did not see the value on the R at the time. Wanted AWD but that was the only feature I really wanted.

I’ll do that. I’m happy to have all the information I can get. I mean, I do want a Golf R–for whatever reason, it’s a preference. I’m not exactly trying to get in the best car for my money. I just want to make sure the math makes sense. But needless to say, if a broker can help, it’s worth my time. Thanks!

Yeah, if I was looking at a '17 Golf R, I think I’d go with the GTI instead too. But the MK7.5 Golf R has the digital cockpit. I know it’s relatively meaningless option, but I want it haha. I wish the GTI had the digital cockpit, like they do in Europe. I’m sure the MK8 GTI will have it, but I believe they’re not scheduled to arrive in the States until Spring 2021.