2018 Volt LT -- did I totally get hosed?

Guys, I have no idea if I got a good deal or not. Got sucked into the dealership with an advertised $169/mo Volt lease. But mine…ended up looking very different.

For one thing, they did the big push to get me into the one they had on the lot, not the one I asked for. So it’s an LT with $3500 worth of options on it—some worthwhile (upgraded paint color, comfort package, driver confidence package, Bose system, leather seats) and some not (all weather mats, blacked out bowties, cargo net). So that puts the MSRP at $37,620. In other words, they basically took an LT and optioned it into a Premier.

Mileage is 12k/year and 25c/mi for overage.

So using my trade-in worth $2250 net as the down payment, all fees and 8% tax included, I ended up at $0 drive off and 35 payments of $300 each.

Honestly I can’t tell if this was a good deal or not. The paperwork suggests that they discounted the car by $3681 and applied $6750 worth of incentives, which sounds great, but also seems like a total of over ten grand off should have gotten me to a lower number.

No matter what I do, I can’t get the calculator on here to work with my numbers—unless I lower the discount amount to $5050 it doesn’t match up with my paperwork. I’d say maybe the dealer marked up the money factor but they told me it was 1.9%, which is actually lower than the 2.4% the calculator says is right for a Volt…but I can’t actually verify that anywhere on the paperwork. .

I see people posting truly insane Volt lease deals on here all the time, so I just don’t know. I mean I like the car a lot, but it seems to me that a couple grand net down and 300 a month would have been enough to get me into a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (essentially a Volt SUV) or a Honda Clarity PHEV (essentially a Buick Volt), both of which are More Car; or maybe, in an alternate universe where Bolt deals hadn’t suddenly gotten so terrible, into the Bolt I would have preferred.

Can someone help me understand if I got out OK or got totally hosed, and if so, where exactly?

That is basically the deal I got for my 2015 Volt. Don’t know if it is a good deal now, but if you live in California, you may be eligible for the CARB $1500 check. Plus let your power company that you have an Volt, they could change the rates in your favour. Good Luck Mate.

Thanks! I’ve sent away for the $1500 from the state and I’ll send away for the $450 from my power company once the registration card arrives. That certainly doesn’t hurt. Cheers.

My power company basically took me off the tiered rate,and made it 6c for night, and around 20c for day. Southern California Edison. My leccy bill actually went down.

Wow, that’s a deal! My parking is in a common garage, so I pay a fixed monthly rate of $30 to the condo association to charge from an ordinary wall outlet. A 12 hour charge is pretty poky, of course, but Level 2 charging at my work is just a penny a minute, so if I get low I can always fill the battery for a couple of bucks there. I’ve only used gas once, on a road trip. So…the fuel-cost part definitely works!

Well that’s not bad at all. I only used 120V the last 3 years, so no fast charging here, but worked out perfectly for me.

1 Like

An amazing deal? No.
Did you get hosed? No.

Why didn’t you post on here with the quote before you signed? Once you sign, there is literally nothing you can do about it

2 Likes

For future reference, chevygirl always has an updated list of Chevy deals for the month:

It’s worth using it as a starting point.

1 Like

Yep. Clearly I should have done that. And that’s why they blew smoke up my arse instead of just handing me a quote and letting me go on my way like I asked. Lesson learned: in the future I am shopping by internet only.

3 Likes

The 3k worth of bogus option that they installed is their pure profit. They charge 3k for mats and black out bowtie? Lol

lolwut? No. There’s $420 worth of bogus (LPO) options. The rest are things I’m happy to have. Here’s how it breaks down:

Cajun Red Tintcoat $395.00
Comfort Package $460.00
LT Driver Confidence Package $790.00
Audio system feature, Bose premium speakers $560.00
Seats, leather-appointed $900.00
LPO, Black bowtie emblems, front and rear $215.00
LPO, All-weather floor mats $140.00
LPO, Cargo net $65.00
Total Options $3,525.00

I have no idea why they optioned-up an LT to be identical to a Premier instead of just ordering an Premier, especially when the cost ends up being about the same. “For the buyer who wants everyone to think they spent less than they did, may we present: a Premier on LT wheels!”

On the one hand, I feel better about the deal when I realize it makes more sense to compare it to Premier deals than base-LT deals. On the other hand, I would have liked the Premier’s option for a Doberman Pinscher interior. :slight_smile: