2018 Stinger GT2 AWD - Thoughts

A lot of bad math in this thread. He didn’t put anything down on his Stinger. Period. And he didn’t roll any negative into it, either. Well, OK, maybe $700 was rolled in if the $12.2k loan and $6k trade value are accurate.

So if the agreed upon value of the Stinger was $35k, the net cap cost after his trade and money down was $35,700 + taxes, tags, fees.

Sweet! Dealer giving you 4800k off msrp?

You overpaid. 5700 lease cash, 3000 conquest, 3-4k dealer discount. Should be 38000 - 10700 = 27300 + taxes + tages + etc…

Correct. Invoice, minus holdbacks, and in the hole some. The lease cash plus AWD incentive is certainly helping offset that garbage RV. But like I said, works in my favor IF I decide to buy it.

I won’t buy the Optima. Too bland

Here is the deal…RWD would be my choice, lower RV on the RWD (amazing, how low can it get?lol) and doesn’t come with the $1,000 rebate. There is only one color combo left in the country based off our search and it’s AWD. I wouldn’t mind another color, buuuuut the AWD gives me piece of mind when it randomly snows in the southeast and I need to get to work. Entrance to our neighborhood is also a wild 1/4 hill. Steepest hill I’ve ever seen lol

LOL…excruciatingly boring. Why don’t you go drive a KIA Optima? That car has the least amount of soul in any car I’ve driven…well maybe a Daewoo…

I really don’t understand Kia and Genesis. They go and build absolutely brilliant cars that meet or beat the German completion by having better performance, tons of standard features, and pricing them way lower. Then they offer shit-tastic residuals and terrible interest rates. I admit to being a bit of a badge snob, but I would be really tempted to lease a Stinger GT2 or Genesis G70 if those two factors didn’t make for a bad lease.

1 Like

My exact thoughts…

They want to do another one for me at that price?

I had the same conversation this evening. Well said!

1 Like

The residuals are down because their cars do not hold value. My 2015 Genesis V6 with a $45k sticker with a lease end value of around $24k. CarMax value $19,000. So somone is going to eat $5k. Residuals were inflated. I think residuals now are inflated. A 3 year old Genesis for $19k? Great deal. I tried to haggle with HMF to purchase the car and got nowhere. My payment was $355 zero due, 15k miles per year. Same car now would be at least $100 more.

I genuinely think I am the WORST car buyer in history. It doesn’t help that this forum as totally ruined leasing cars for me lol. I think I am going to put this on the backburner and wait for the 19’s to hit the lot. I’m praying the RV and MF improve for the 19’s. I doubt it though. After a long talk with my buddy at KMA. He admits that Kia doesn’t care about the leases on these Stingers, they know people will pay for them, and they do!

I really want the RWD, just seems like it would be more fun. AWD is cool, but no LSD option and no way to go full RWD for some good old fun.

The 2019’s also are going to have the Surround View Monitor and wireless phone charging (18’s are missing this). My 2016 Optima has the SVM and the wireless phone charging option and it’s genuinely two features that I don’t think I can be without. The GT2 is a MUCH better car, however those two options really make me want to wait for a 2019.

The Optima is probably one of the better cars I’ve leased. I hacked the living $#%$ out of the car in 2016 too.
$39,850 MSRP
Exec Demo; Incentives; Family Plan; Employee Pring;dealer cash; hold back = $225/mo with first payment DAS. GAP included. 36mo/45K lease.

It just seems wrong to double my payments, and lose the two options I really have grown used to living with. Those are the two options I use everyday. The SVM is golden when parking.

1 Like

There Stinger forums I’m on… They don’t expect the leases or pricing to get better for 2019. Expect to pay more.

Also, why need LSD with AWD? AWD of generally better.

Great deal. A massively overpriced vehicle at $40k but a good car at $225 a month.

Well residual is not in their control. I’m sure they would love to have high resale value but they’re Kia.

I’ve always found AWD to be a little bland. From what I read, the RWD is a more lively car. I drove the RWD and it just felt so alive. If the GT2 AWD is anything like an Audi…it’s just another quick 4 door that doesn’t like to slide around or get wiggly.

All in all, it’s a great deal considering the car has a lot against it in terms of lease structure.

It’s not overpriced, it’s just got the wrong badge on it. A similarly equipped car from the German automakers is another 15-20K. Harmon Kardon, Smart Cruise, Nappa leather, SVM, etc. It’s a stunning vehicle but the shortfalls is the driving experience. Sure all, I4 Turbo engines are the same, majority of the FWD cars with this type of power plant is the same. It just doesn’t have any soul or “flare”.

KIA is able to go straight to the steel manufacture (Hyundai), a lot of the larger brands must go through and buy from a middle man. That is one of the cost savings that KIA is able to pass along to the customers. They certainly didn’t have the R&D budget that the German automakers do, but I believe they are making leaps and bounds on the quality, performance, and reliability.

My Optima has lived a very hard live with me behind the wheel. That engine sees redline every day, many many times a day. It sits in traffic idling for 2+ hours a day in 100+F temps and hasn’t had a single issue. I’m not saying it deserves a cookie as it’s a new car and shouldn’t have issues, but I’m saying for the badge it’s been a solid ride! I would only expect the Stinger to be better, and more fun.

You’re right. I got the AWD for inclement weather and stability. It fit my purposes better than the RWD. I’m not disappointed, though. It’s still great for spirited driving.

The price is more than fair. It’s a fully loaded car that competes well with cars 25k more than it. It’s only missing the wireless charging and 360 degree camera.

If you could do without those things, then definitely get it!

PM Sent regarding off topic thingz…

Nick

I don’t agree. The Accord, Camry, Fusion and Malibu are the competition for this not the German vehicles. The stinger is a different story. If that car had a BMW, AUDI or MB logo it would sell really well for $20k more. At $40000 the Optima is way overpriced. The new accord IMO is much better for less money. Also, I have owned 3 Hyundai cars and they are all great. My Genesis is as good a car as my Cadillac, Infiniti or Lexus. Better in some respects. You just can’t compare a Optima to a German car of $20k more in price. Just like you can’t compare a 3000 SF house in Toledo OH to one in Malibu.