2018 Range Rover Sport - dealer loaner

MSRP was $79k. They were asking for $72k. I negotiated down to $70k then started talking lease.

25k down payment LOL, thatā€™s a huge yikes from be dog

Yes yes Iā€™m very fortunate to have found this thread. Iā€™ll get the paperwork in the mail today and will toss it in the garbage.

You guys actually managed to talk me out of leasing altogether!

Now is $70k a fair selling price for this vehicle or is this not the right forum to ask that?

So if I would still want to lease, letā€™s say I ask for zero down, what monthly payment would be sensible for this particular vehicle?

Thereā€™s a few threads on them. Just do a search to see what others are getting.

I wouldnā€™t be too hasty about buying it. It could lease okay with the right negotiation. Iā€™ve seen some good numbers on the Velar posted here, would that appeal?

Itā€™s your money and if you love the vehicle then you should get it. However you really have to go into buying a Land Rover with your eyes and wallet wide open. You may love the car, but chances are you wonā€™t be seeing much of it. The depreciation is also pretty horrible.

2 Likes

If you can write a check for 25 why not finance and Sell In 3 years?

1 Like

I have a feeling that selling a used 3 year old out of warranty Land Rover is probably an even bigger losing proposition than a lease on one of them.

2 Likes

He said itā€™s cpo so it would still have warranty left I think.

1 Like

Looks like 7/100k so you might have a point there

My intention was certainly not to talk you out of leasing period. Leasing can save TONS of money, especially on a vehicle like this that depreciates like a rock. But in this case presented where you proposed leasing a used vehicle for essentially a new vehicle price, youā€™d lose thousands of dollars leasing it vs just purchasing a used vehicle that was offered for a good price. Perhaps tens of thousands of dollars, since the purchase price seems incredibly inflated for a used car.

If you are going to purchase, Iā€™d definitely look for a CPO with the 7yr/100k mile warranty. If you for some reason only want this particular one, youā€™d only get the balance of the 50k mile warranty if itā€™s not currently CPO. I think a reasonable deal would be 25% off MSRP and offer a 100k warranty for free, but Iā€™d double check this by looking for similar examples on Autotrader/Carmax/etc and using resources such as KBB, Edmund TMV, etc. Or walk away from this one and find one with low miles CPO for $45-60k. Thereā€™s hundreds available around the country.

Regardless, you definitely do not want to own or sell an LR out of warranty if you are cost conscious.

2 Likes

Where are you located? If youā€™re still interested in a lease, please talk to some of the well known lease-brokers in this areaā€¦

Quentin/Benedetto will do the necessary leg work for you.

If youā€™re trying to buy, my suggestion would be to look at used (but CPO) KBB/NADA values (for that exact year/model/mileage combo) and negotiate down possiblyā€¦ Good luck!

Looks like you dodged a bulletā€¦

1 Like

Man, you dodged the bulletā€¦ Low monthly / high downpayment is the oldest trick in the book. Being a regular in this forum made me think nobody falls for it anymore.

I would assume so too, but maybe not. Hereā€™s a 2015 with 52k miles at CarMax for $43k;

https://www.carmax.com/car/16601717

If he could buy the 2018 for 70k, sell it in 3 years for $43k, he would come about about $20,000 cheaper than the original lease deal.

1 Like

Donā€™t be surprised if the Carmax car is above market valueā€¦

1 Like

How do you check the oil on a Range Rover?

OP: For rough reference, we were offered 5% off either a RRS TD6 or Discovery HSE Lux TD6. Both 2019, custom ordered. New.

We chose and leased the Discovery because the MF and residuals were better. We did 33/10K for $820/mo on an $80K MSRP (obviously a very loaded vehicle) with the minimal fees and taxes paid up front. We didnā€™t hit the 1% threshold but came close, and this on a marque not known for leasing well.

Youā€™ve gotten good advice here. Run from this dealer and this vehicle. Talk to one of the good brokers on this site. Well worth a couple hundred bucks to help you out since youā€™re new to leasing. If youā€™re not in a rush, step back and take your time to bone up on leasing strategies, the key variables to negotiate, etc. and go back into the market when youā€™ve done your research.

When we leased ours, I contacted about a dozen dealers in the Northeast. Basically anyone I was willing to drive to rather than pay to ship. I was very explicit about the vehicle I wanted, the build/option specifics, etc. All I asked for was best price, MF, and residual.

Several were annoying and told me I had to come in, call, test drive, whatever. A few came back with actual numbers. From there it was just simple mathā€¦

2 Likes

Like itā€™s been stated multiple times just reach out to a Broker.

Is this the beginning of a joke? :laughing:

1 Like

Itā€™s worse. Iā€™m the one who asked the dealer for it; call it lack of (leasing) experience, if youā€™re kind lol.

Donā€™t throw the contract away when you get it, share the details of the lease breakdown and we can help you understand whatā€™s possible.

1 Like