2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Hatchback

I’m at the dealer trying to make this deal happen. I could use some advice from the experts. Here is the numbers:

MSRP: $29,365.00
Adj cap: $22,760.61

12/36K
MF: 0.00226
Lease End Value: $13,801.55

monthly $354.69

IF i pay 1st month and tag he quoted me $335.27

This is to much money for a Hyundai. Any advice would be awesome

I feel as if you already know the answer to your own question. You said this is too much money for a Hyundai and most of us will 100 percent agree with you.

Have you considered looking at other vehicles that have lower MF and higher residuals? That will be the first place to start with getting a good deal.

If you are absolutely sold on the Elantra, either move to buy it outright, or try to squeeze another 1k in the selling price. I’ve seen Elantra GTs discounted heavily in the DMV area. (I realize that may not be your area)

There is some more wiggle room in the price of the car, but I think the most you’ll be able to bring that monthly down is probably to around 310 a month. It is a very well equipped car and has been reviewed favorably. It may be worth it to you.

What happened to the deal from yesterday? In any case, you need to find out the sales price before incentives.

That car is a hoot to drive, plus has a ton of options, almost got it myself. Feel like it worth the extra $20-30 a month over competitors.

We get these types of scenarios here somewhat often, and I’m left to wonder: Are these people literally AT the dealership? Like, inside the building? I’m trying to imagine a scenario where this doesn’t look strange, or you don’t look like an easy mark or someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Do you excuse yourself to the restroom to pound out a quick LH post? Do you check your phone incessantly when the sales guy makes a big show out of going to the desk/tower to “fight the good fight” for you? I think the consensus around here is pretty clear: EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL… I’m trying to understand the thought process of the people who still think that they are going to be the ones who beat the dealer at their own game on their turf.

3 Likes

Why, I would come in with a full laptop and connect to their WiFi. Then me and my salesperson will browse the forums, plug in the number into leasehackr calculator, print it out and take it to the finance guy.

/kidding not kidding.

3 Likes

You aren’t going to get a good deal on an Elantra GT.

Your options are to lease something else, or spend luxury car money on an Elantra.

You guys ever heard of these things called Ipads? I take my Ipad everywhere. And I was doing the EMAIL thing, but you know what, I live in Florida, and they LIE. His email quoted me $325…Then he told me that he was going to pay for the Tag fees because they’re up in Feb. Then he came back with a deal that had me paying 675 up front. My first payment and tag fees, which he had said that he was paying for. And when he said he was paying for it, I said “yeah sure, I know i’ll end up paying for it somewhere in the deal” and he was like no, they’re going to pay for it. I went with my Mother, a nice Jewish mother. And when she caught him in the lie, she laid into him. For the first time, I wasn’t embarrassed. I thought it was hilarious. So I called up the Honda dealership down the street, asked them to pick me up and the rest is history.

Are these people literally AT the dealership? Like, inside the building? I’m trying to imagine a scenario where this doesn’t look strange, or you don’t look like an easy mark or someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about.

I joined this site to learn and get educated. I’m not an easy mark. But I will say that the Elantra GT Sport is a sweet car, and its fully loaded with every possible option you might want. The Pano Sunroof is EPIC. But when it came down to it, I didn’t feel comfortable with the way the salesperson was spinning me.

I guess I changed my mind AGAIN…

I’m not saying that YOU are. I’m saying that those types of back and forth on an iPad (even worse than a phone since they have a better chance of seeing what you are doing) runs the risk of making you LOOK like an easy mark. Optics matter. As for email, if all you are doing is getting a monthly payment out of them via email that opens the door to a lot of misunderstanding, “misunderstanding” and other shenanigans. If over email you have an agreed upon selling price before any rebates and incentives are applied, a breakdown of the rebates and incentives being applied afterwards, residual, money factor, as well as a breakdown of any and all taxes and fees being charged, plus an agreed upon monthly payment and DAS then there’s really nowhere for anyone to run and hide. Either they will provide that information over email and only email, or they won’t and you find someone else who will.

1 Like

Looks as if OP signed on a Civic Sport Hatch at 335 /mo. Hopefully OP can now relax and enjoy their new ride and they have learned a lot from their experiences here. Overall, probably a better deal than the Elantra GT as far as leasing goes.

Thats Sport Touring Hatch. Its about a 7K difference in MSRP

In my mind 7k is a lot of extra money and I gotta wonder if the car only has 25 percent more changes from the core vehicle, is it worth a 40 percent price hike?

Example of what I mean… I think the Audi S4 Premium Plus is worth the 8k price increase over a A4 Premium Plus (Non S-Line) because it’s a whole lot of extra car.

Leather seats, some added tech, and more safety features are absolutely nice to have, just don’t know if it’s worth much of a price increase. This is purely subjective, however. I prefer cloth heated seats to leather, anyways.

Leather seats, power seats (both sides), moonroof, Turbo Engine, Some Kit that makes the car look so much nicer, heated seats (pointless in florida) I can go on…Totally different cars. I still don’t understand why Honda is calling it a Civic Sport, but not putting in the Turbocharged engine.

The Civic Sport Hatch has the same engine and tune as the Sport Touring. The point is basically to load up a Civic Sport hatch with all the things in the touring trim found on other Civics, sans-manual.

In my opinion, if Honda is going to call it a “Sport” anything, it better be optioned with a Manual, otherwise, it’s junk. Hate CVTs.

There is no difference in the core vehicle besides leather seats, sunroof, safety suite, and power seats. To me, all that stuff is worth 3k, maybe 4k. I saw no physical differences in the exterior of the car, if there are, it might be optional stuff added by the dealer.

You forgot Navi (which I don’t really need, but I’ve never had it) LED Lights (on the side mirrors too) and a better sound system (which doesn’t mean much to me)…I would have loved to get another Manual, but its not available. A moonroof is my biggest must in all cars.

Well, I personally don’t consider navigation a plus anymore if the car comes with apple car play or Android auto. In fact, I have found myself speccing cars without navigation, but with car play instead.

1 Like

I agree with you. But there is still a lot of people that don’t have smartphones. Roughly 30% between the ages of 30-64. And then how many smartphone owners have good phones. I know tons of people that have old smartphones that just won’t run Android Auto. I do like that it runs Garmin. So I agree with you, but I just had to give my 2 cents extra…thanks for the props