2017 Infiniti Q50 AWD 3.0T - MSRP 46,100 - 308.58 /mth without tax - Zero Down

Sal,

You still didn’t get the point of this forum. We over here don’t pull the discount numbers out of thin air and neither do we walk straight to the dealer and demand a 25% discount to elicit a whopper of a response.

With all due respect things have changed in car sales industry since you started as GM. We don’t look at the car ad page of local newspaper (BTW I have never subscribed or bought a news paper in my life) for the weekly specials and go to nearest dealer on a weekend and waste 5-6 hours haggling with bunch of people eventually giving up and thinking this is the best I could have got.

We on this forum start our shopping by doing our homework, all of which is done without ever to step foot in a dealership. We share our deals with people across the country who get a ballpark number to aim for and substantiate it with proper numbers like lease cash, factory support, hold back etc. This way we know what discount to ask for and there is always that 1 dealer who needs to make a sale who will make the sale without getting nosebleed levels of profit.

HN.

2 Likes

I’ve been lurking here for awhile and I finally found the car I want. I would say I’m confident when it comes to haggling, but have NO experience with car leases. I haven’t called the dealership yet (California), but I want to get the right info before I do. Please correct me if I’m wrong

Car:2017 Q50 sport 3.0 (iridium)
Dealer cost:45,770
MSRP:44,650
Invoice:41,525
Residual:51%
MF:.00003
(No VPP)
Car ha been on the lot 60 days
My goal is to pay 36,000 including taxes and gap insurance(or less!) So that my payments are low. After reading this, this is what I have gathered. I should call and ask for a financial manager. Then tell them the car I’m interested in and say I want $10,000 off MSRP (or do I literally say I want it for 34,500??). If they ask where I got that # say that the invoice is 41k, and I know that they get at least 8k in factory incentives. Is this good??

I was going to trade in my 2006 Chevy Aveo 115,000 miles. Is this a good idea??

You have most of the things correct. I would however make few changes.

1. I don’t know why you have a goal of 36K with taxes when you are leasing the car. If you are buying it than the factory cash for support will be different and needs further research on that.

2. You don’t need to deal with Finance manager when you call. Either ask for Internet sales, fleet manager or a regular sales person.

3. Tell them you are calling to get the Adjusted cap cost based on which a lease has to be calculated with above MF and residuals. Don’t give a monthly number you are comfortable with. This is what all dealers ask and you never fall for it. Ask the car for 34K even as cap cost and have some room to increase when you get push back.

4. Don’t discuss about your trade till you are done with all discussions and have a monthly number which is final.

5. Most important point is to be ready to listen to a NO from dealers. If your offer gets accepted by one of the the five dealers you call, remember you are asking for too less of a discount. This is early in month so they will not budge but you can stick to your number and they will be the ones calling you in the last week of the month.

Best of luck and keep us posted how your shopping goes.

HN.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your response! I greatly appreciate it! Researching all of this has been an interesting and eye opening process.

So just to clarify some things:
Call the dealerships and say I’m “calling because I’m interested in the q50 sport, and am looking for an adjusted cap cost of $34000.” Don’t tell them about the trade in til the numbers are set. If they ask how I got that number explain that it’s based on the invoice cost and dealer incentives, residual cost and MF, which is at least 10,000 below MSRP.
Is this correct(sorry I’m really struggling on the phrasing of this).
If asked what payments I’m looking for do I literally say no, or how do I phrase this? Do I even say I want to lease firsthand?
When do I say I want taxes and gap insurance rolled in?
I really want to make sure I have my mind wrapped around everything before I start calling so that I feel the most confident. Please let me know if there is anything else I’m missing.

What is “Dealer Cost”?

I also have a theory that creating an email account with a male or unisex name will have much higher odds of your being taken seriously when negotiating over email.

@MrsMo

I never like to promote spoon feeding but I am impressed with the amount of homework you have done so far so I am going to lay down exact steps for you. Apart from the exact steps below you need a healthy dose of self confidence.

These steps can be used by any newbie for any car they are interested in. Just change the asking price of the car after you know the incentives available and deduct them from invoice price.

1. Call the dealerships and say I’m calling to lease a 2017 q50 sport 3.0T. Check the dealers site and find the car you are interested in and refer the stock # when you call. Politely ask the sales person that you are looking for an adjusted cap cost of the car around $34000. Support the logic of your asking sales price by mentioning that it is derived after deducting all available factory incentives from invoice price. Also mention that you will count your lease price yourself after just getting the best Cap cost (selling price) the dealer can offer as you already know the residual value and MF.

2. You will be asked what is the monthly payment you can afford? - You need to mention that monthly payment is immaterial to you as you can count it yourself. Just stick to the original question which is what is the least selling price they can offer the car for.

3. Don’t talk about taxes now and GAP insurance is included in Infiniti lease. You can say you can either pay it upfront or roll it into the monthly payment but it will be decided later.

The most important thing is to have confidence. Don’t shy away in asking for that discount. No one is doing you a favor giving that discount on the contrary you are helping them make a sale.

Always remember you have to Lease a car once every 3 odd years and they have to sell/lease hundreds of cars a month so you are always in the drivers seat.

Be ready to listen to a big NO from multiple dealers. If your offer is accepted in first few calls you make, start the process again and this time ask for 1000 more in discount.

HN

4 Likes

He responded with “I just wanted to let you know that I checked with the factor and the $6200 includes all incentives offered to the customer, so you are in fact getting all of it. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn your business.”

:sweat:

Either the incentives on the premium and sport are different in your market or he is lying.

Ask him about the incentives on a premium car. I am sure its around 9K in east coast and should be the same or close to it in CA as well.

You need to call at least 10 dealers within 100 mile radius and see what other dealers say about the incentives. There is a fair chance 1 of them will give you the correct incentives numbers for Feb.

You are the best! Thank you so much, I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in responding to my questions. I’m excited to start calling dealerships today. I will respond later with the results of my inquiries.

Are you looking at the 2.0t or 3.0t? I think they have different incentives, RV and MF.

@MrsMo

I’m also in the market for this car! Where are you located?

@clee920

I read your post again and I want you to confirm that the dealer is giving you ‘all the available incentives which includes customer cash and dealer cash from factory’.

Tell him that you want all of it and not just what is available to customer. Tell him this is what other dealers are offering and it is nothing new that you are asking.

HN.

Okay, I just sent him an e-mail as you indicated. Thank you SO much! :slight_smile:

This was his response:

Thanks for getting back to me. I can assure you that I am giving you all incentives offer on the vehicle. For the 2017 Q50 2.0 Premium model, there is $6200 worth of factory incentives for a lease. On the 2017 Q50 3.0 model, there is $3950 worth of factory incentives for a lease. That is all of the incentives offered on either vehicle. If you feel that you are getting a better deal from other dealerships, I will be happy to match any deal in writing because we certainly make it a point to not lose deals based of price. It is my goal to be as straight forward with you as possible and if dealers are saying there is $9200 worth of incentive on either vehicle mentioned, though I am not sure why, but they are misleading you. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.”

I got on TrueCar and was able to get a guaranteed discount of $8645 (very close to what you said in your post) and forwarded it to him. I also just e-mailed his manager and asked to work with him instead. I plan to include all the information you wrote out for @MrsMo when we get in touch. I am a USAA member and my company participates in Nissan/Infiniti’s VPP program so I hope I can get further discounts. Just waiting to hear back from him now.

Thank you again SO much for all your continued help!

Just got off the phone with two dealerships and I have to say that was pretty fun.

So I called the first dealership and when I said the adjusted cap cost there was a pretty long pause which actually made me LESS nervous(thought it was funny)! Salesperson said they are having deals on q50 red sports in that range and that he would email me. I told him I would call back if I had any questions.

Second dealership asked the monthly payments, I told them I can count it myself and that the cap cost was the most important. He said he’d speak to the finance manager and call back. Got the call about 10 minutes later asking how I got that cost. I explained it and he said “No no the invoice is 42,000 your wrong about the incentives blah blah” and said the best he could give me was invoice. I told him that’s fine and to call me back if and when he can get the price in my range.

1 Like

Not all dealers are willing to pass dealer cash to the customer. There are so many dealerships in SoCal, so maybe you should just try getting quotes from others. Some that I’ve read give decent deals are Beverly Hills, Tustin and Cerritos.

You can add $300-400 to that amount since TrueCar gets paid by dealers for every referral.

@Jon - From what I’ve read around this forum, Tustin seems to have favorable reviews. Beverly Hills was a bit on the higher side and less willing to work with me on pricing. But yes, thank you for the recommendations! :slight_smile:

@Ursus - AH! You’re the best :blush:

Odd that dealer #1 would say the Red Sports are in your price range ($34k) when those are the most expensive q50s. Doubtful they can reach that price point.Also, as @HN308 previously stated, it’s probably better to find the exact stock number from a dealer that you want and negotiate for that vehicle. I’ve also had better experience negotiating via email than calling dealers. Good luck.

The thing with TrueCar is that once they have your info and pass it to a dealer, the dealer is required to pay TrueCar the referral fee if you make a purchase. What I do is use a SPAM/fake email account to look at pricing on TrueCar and then when I contact dealers myself, I ask for at least the pricing I saw minus $300 without ever mentioning TrueCar.