2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition Deal $88 Per Mo

Any particular tips or articles you suggest for initial selling price email? Or do you just email a few and ask for their lowest selling price?

Thanks again this is a great help and congrats on your deal!

Also, on the mobile site I still see $3000 bonus cash, but it doesn’t say it can be used with a lease?

I told them I had another dealer offer me the car for $19,200 and I would need $19,000 from them. They agreed. That’s pretty much it. But I did spend about 3 weeks back and forth building a relationship with the salesman which I believe was beneficial in my situation.

Thanks to @Raven for the inspiration and the tips, I was able to pull off a very nice deal last night.

2017 HYUNDAI ELANTRA VALUE EDITION

MSRP: [$21,210]
Selling Price: [$19,260]
Rebates: [$4,500 TOTAL ($3,000 lease cash, $1,000 Uber, $500 Sales event)]

Months: [36]
Annual Mileage: [10,000]

MF: [0.00117]
Residual: [60%]
Acquisition Fee: [$595]

Security Deposit: [$0]
Total Due At Signing: [$1,000 (First month pmt + tax + tags + fees)]
Monthly Payment: [$99.74 (incl tax)]

Zip Code: [15226]
Sales Tax Rate: [10%]

3 Likes

I also did all of my work through email. I reached out to every dealer in my area that I was honestly willing to do business with if they had the lowest price. I went to the websites and tried to find a person on the sales team to personally contact. Then I sent an email telling them I was shopping around for the lowest price on the vehicle. I always tried to find an actual vehicle they had in stock that I could reference – so they knew I was serious, and so I knew they weren’t quoting me for something I didn’t want.

In most cases, I started off with just asking for the MSRP and the best price. I narrowed down from there, and then brought up the possibility of leasing. At that point, I asked for loads of specifics including RV, MF, list of all incentives, and every fee I would incur (including the disposition fee). Then I asked them to show me what the resulting monthly payment was with $0 down, so I could run it through my own spreadsheet (modeled after the leasehackr calculator) to make sure they weren’t hiding something. I found about half of them “forgot” to tell me about all of the fees they were assuming in their monthly payment.

Don’t spend too much time trying to craft the perfect language for the email. Be brief, but be clear what you are asking for. The folks who read/respond to your email are real people trying to do a job too, so recognize that. Be considerate. But be firm.

6 Likes

Very nice…i was looking into this car a few months back and got as low as $175 all rolled in.

Amazing you were able to do that jimmers. Congrats on the tenacity!

How many dealers would you say you initially emailed?

I have trouble even finding the email of their internet sales person in Florida on the sites. I’ve emailed about 6 dealers so far. Only 2 have responded. One took off $500 and another simply did the $2000 rebate off MSRP :expressionless:

Amazing you guys were able to get these prices!

I’ve been finding Hyundai dealers around me are just as lazy too! Frustrating, but just telling my buddy to be patient.

Every single one “when would you like to come in and discuss the car?”

hmmmm… how about… never. Let’s discuss it over email … it’s 2017.

I had a couple try to pull that move. But I just told everyone that I wanted everything done by email by every dealer to have a documented timeline and many eventually agreed

Looks like I emailed 10, and only had 1 who did not respond. I followed a similar process (with different questions) when I was buying a Honda Pilot a few months ago, and had similar results (probably 14 dealers and 2 non-responders).

I didn’t always try to find the “internet sales” person. I looked at the “meet the staff” link (or something similar) and picked someone from there. You can even hit the chat button if they have one, and ask for a specific person’s email address. Nobody gave me a hard time about that. When I couldn’t find an email address, I’d submit through the generic contact form, but only as a last resort.

Play around enough, and you’ll find someone willing to work with you.

Well got one dealer to give me an initial lease number.

$320 a month for a limited. $290 for the special value edition.

I literally laughed out loud in my office. These are the same guys who are advertising se editions for $14k on their website. Going to try going direct to their internet sales person instead of the random sales guy that they try to hook you up with when you click on inquire about a car.

Wow. That is litterally $7,200 more over the course of 36 months than @jimmers deal. That’s criminal.

Yea, literally couldn’t believe they gave me a number like that. Called him out on it and got this back.

On this car!
http://www.stcharleshyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2017-Hyundai-Elantra-b75f4c660a0e0a6b1c382ff816c68e05.htm

I’ve dealt with some shady sales guys before. But he takes the cake so far. Glad it’s been nothing but email right now.

I had a couple dealers come at me with numbers in the $200 a month range and litterally said it’s non negotiable and they don’t know how I could get anything less. Just thank them for their time and move onto the next dealer. The dealer I ended up going with gave me a zero down offer right up front of $167 not including any incentives. So I worked with them for 3 weeks until I got to the rock bottom they would accept. You just have to be willing to talk to 10 dealers within 50 miles or so. You will get someone to bite.

Agreed, I am working with 5 right now. I have 3-4 more weeks to negotiate. Hope to get near your price :slight_smile:

One last question.

After you negotiated all via email and had your price.

How long did you have to spend in the actual dealer? I have a tight timeline to do this and would like to be in and out in under 3 hours.

It depends how much of “homework” was done before you come in. One time on a previous lease I was in and out within 1/2hr. You have to communicate to them your timeline and have them verify all is ready.

With another lease I did, I had all the paperwork sent to my house, signed and returned before flying out to the dealer and meeting up with them.

Took about an hour in the dealer, but that was because it was a saturday afternoon and they were pretty busy prepping cars, I didn’t feel like they were holding there for any particular reason. I just sat around and read brochures until the car was ready. Zero hassling, zero upsell, just waiting for car prep and coming in to pick it up.

Another deal I did we had the majority of the paperwork finished up, and I just spent about a half hour signing stuff and then another half hour being shown all the features on the car (mini cooper S).

Dealers don’t mind doing all the paperwork ahead of time if they are legit, saves them time, money and hassle as well. The three hours spent trying to upsell a guy who’s already got a negotiated price and firm number could be spent on a sucker who isn’t putting in the work. :wink:

Okay, so I’m a few days into this. The lowest I’ve gotten is $19473 (I don’t think this including handling)…

Another one is offering 19800 and then $1000 on top for advertising, shipping/handling, and some small extra like cargo net and such.

What do I say next? The 19800 said they can’t really go any lower. The other one said it’s their lowest too. Not sure where to go from here? Another dealer basically just implied I was being ridiculous and said “good luck”

Any suggestions on next steps? Or do I just stop contacting with them and email others in the area?

Tell the $19,800 dealer about the $19,400 dealer but tell them it’s actually $19,000. That exactly what I did. I told the dealer I had a price from another dealer that I didn’t actually have, then said beat that price.