2017 Equinox deal CONFIRMED; '17 LT (FWD) $29,975 MSRP car for $144/mo (+ tax) w/ effective $370 total out of pocket. Possibly cheaper deals for LS model available. Florida

just got an email (about 3 weeks after leasing the car) about the costco survey required to get the gift card. I did it on the phone, took less than 8 minutes, relatively painless. They say card will come within 4 weeks. Just mentioning in so others have an idea of time frame to get the survey request/gift card.

just got my card today, 6 days after taking the survey, here we come Costco

anybody going to sell their gift card? if yes, any suggestion where and for how much?

They go for more than face value on Ebay because you don’t need to be a Costco member to use them, even in the store. They are like a free one-time membership.

1 Like

@adamcar why more than face value? what does that have to do with being a member or not? Ive seen gift cards on eBay go for more than face value and i never understood why (not necessarily costco gift cards but others as well).

You have to pay at least a $55 membership fee to even shop at Costco normally.

Gift cards can be used by anyone though, membership or not. So a $100 gift card might actually sell for a few bucks over since the purchaser does not need to fork over a $55 fee to Costco.

1 Like

Then why overpay for membership savings? I think if it’s true, then maybe the higher price for the card is for perceived savings on Costco prices vs. regular prices. I.e. you pay 10% premium for Costco card to save 20% on shopping at Costco.

If the gift card never expires, it is like a free perpetual membership (vs $55/yr), right?

I don’t think that’s the case. One can shop and pay only with the gift card w/out membership. Once the balance is $0, then you can’t shop there anymore. But I’m just guessing here.

That’s probably fine for anyone buying these 1 (or more) of these $700 gift cards. Whatever you pay over face value might be worth it if you don’t shop there regularly (in which case you’d probably get a membership), and just want to buy a few one-off items at an attractive price…?

Yes, like paying $725 for the $700 card to buy a TV for $700 that sells for $800 elsewhere.

i’ve yet to see electronics at costco that you couldn’t find for the same or less when they go on sale at other stores.

It was just an example. I quit Costco a long time ago. Their prices are not the best in many cases, but sometimes they are.

Is this deal dead since it is past January 3rd?

Live in Socal, bought 2017 Equinox LT with convenience package for 10,000 miles a year, 2 yr lease term. No down. $142/mo lease with tax. With the costco deal our effective monthly is $118 a month. Amazing deal. Crazy enough, GM just sent me a letter saying they made a mistake on my contract and my payment is 140/mo. Beyond the price, the Equinox does what it does well. It’s slow. But I’m used to driving BMWs. My fiancé bought the chip for it and got more power. But it kills the gas mileage in the city. So in town I just drive in eco mode which turns off the boost. Strangely, I actually like to drive this car more than my 4 series BMW. As I noted earlier, its not fast, but most of my commute is in heavy traffic and the size of the car helps buffer me against the gridiron. Any negatives are more than compensated by the electronics. There’s no navigation, but I have complimentary onstar for over 1/2 the lease. I just hit the button and ask onstar to download directions to where I’m going. The car then just prompts me. It’s a nice feature and better than any navigation interface. It has great gas mileage. It’s roomy. It has streaming music and XM. I love it. I actually got a few months of wifi data too…which I don’t need. My only small gripe is that the stereo controls is half way across the cabin and you have to reach far to change the channel. Other than that, I wish I had splurged for the power lift gate. I have it in my other car. I notice the loss of the convenience of the powergate and the trunk doesn’t latch well. Overall, I can’t say enough good things about the value of this car.

2 Likes

AFAIK the Equinox is powered by a naturally aspirated engine.

Your right. I shouldn’t have said boost. It chip reprograms the engine and transmission for better performance.

Could you share dealer and rebate info,
thanks and enjoy your new car

If you aren’t already aware, Costco cash cards can be cashed out in Costco at customer service. They offered me cash or a check and I took the check. No hassle.

@jacar88 are you saying i can get $700 cash at costco’s customer service counter by turning in my $700 gift card ?